|Tuition Fees:||$565 /year|
|Applications Begin:||March 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor Of Engineering In Telecommunication Engineering|
|Start Date:||August 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Engineering|
|Campus:||Kyambogo Hill Campus|
|Application Deadline:||May 2021|
Bachelor of Telecommunications Engineering at Kyambogo is a four-year program that is designed to prepare its graduates for competitive entry into the engineering technology workforce with practical knowledge and skills of existing telecommunications systems.
Telecommunications engineering course is heavily weighted in mathematics and science, in addition to the traditional general education requirements. Students expect to take numerous classes in statistics, calculus, physics, trigonometry and differential equations. Within the engineering technology major, the required core courses include:
– Network management
– Computer networking
– Micro-controller Programming and general software programming
– Satellite transmission concepts
– Antennas and wave propagation,
– Control Systems Engineering,
– Signal processing,
– Communication systems
– Microwave and Radar Systems, etc
– Engineering ethics and communication skills
– Technical writing for engineers
Uganda’s ICT industry has been growing rapidly over the last 20 years. Telecommunication companies have invested heavily in Uganda among which include MTN-Uganda, Airtel Uganda, UTL, Africell, etc. The demand for Telecommunications Engineering is on the rise in the East African Community. The Bachelor of Engineering in Telecommunications program helps students to demonstrate theoretical and technical knowledge of telecommunications systems. Students learn to design, implement, and manage telecommunications systems using voice, data and video.
Telecommunication engineering is a major field that falls under Electrical and Electronics Engineering. Apart from this, it also combines various aspects of electrical, structural and civil engineering as well. Telecommunications engineers handle different types of technology that help us to communicate. The research, design and develop satellite and cable systems, mobile phones, radio waves, the internet and e-mail.
The programme has been run by Kyambogo University under the Department of Electrical and Electronics Engineering since 2003 and has since seen a number of students graduate. Some of these graduates have been able to find jobs in the major Telecommunications Companies in Africa, Aviation industry, manufacturing industries, Hotels, ICT firms, TV and radio stations, ISPs and others have set up their firms in the field of ICT.
Programme in brief
Students study all the essential elements of telecommunications engineering.
In year one, they will cover Engineering Mathematics I, Computer Technology and ICT, Circuit Theory, Engineering Drawing I, Applied Mechanics, Communication Skills for Engineers, Industrial Training I, Engineering Mathematics II, Computer Programming I, Engineering Drawing II, Electromagnetic fields, Physical Electronics, Measurements and Instrumentation.
In year two you will cover Engineering Mathematics III, Network Theory, Amplifier Circuits, Digital circuits, Power Systems I, Energy Systems, Communication Services and Engineering, Industrial Training II, Engineering Mathematics IV, Power Electronics, Computer Programming II, Data Communication, Engineering Control Systems I, Engineering Ethics and Human Rights,
In year three you will cover Optical Communication Systems, Microcontrollers and Applications, Communication Theory, Radio and TV Engineering, Applied Electronics, Engineering Mathematics V, Electrical Energy Utilization, Telephone Systems, Electrical Workshop practice, Multimedia Networking, Engineering Control systems II, Signal Processing, Antennas and Wave Propagation, Network Security, Engineering Mathematics VI, Science, Technology and the Environment, Industrial Training III, Lighting, Heating and Cooling Systems
In year four you will concentrate on Final Year Project I, TV and Video Engineering, Transmission and Switching systems, Mobile and Wireless Communication Systems, Database Development and Administration, Principles of Maintenance Engineering, Project Planning and Management, Entrepreneurship Skills, Final Year Project II, Maintenance of Telephone Systems, Communication Systems and Contracting, Satellite Communication Systems, Microwave and Radar Systems,
You will go through industrial training sessions at the end of every second semester from year I till the third year of this course.
Admission to the bachelors in Telecommunications Engineering shall be done in accordance with Kyambogo University procedures and regulations. In addition, a person qualifies for admission on meeting any one of the following minimum requirements.
Admission to the Bachelor of Engineering in Telecommunications (BETE) shall be done in accordance with Kyambogo University procedures and regulations. In addition, a person qualifies for admission provided he/she satisfies minimum requirements of:-
– At least two (2) Principal Passes in Physics and Mathematics obtained at the same sitting of the Uganda Advanced Certificate Examinations (UACE) or its equivalent.
– For purposes of computing entry points, the advanced level subjects shall carry the following weights:
Essential: Physics and Mathematics,
Relevant: Chemistry, Economics, Technical Drawing
Desirable: General Paper and Computer Studies.
Others: Any other subject
– At least a credit or second class lower or a Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering, Computer Engineering or any other in the field of Electrical and Electronic Engineering from a recognized Institution or
– At least a credit or second class lower of an Ordinary Diploma (or a Diploma) in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunications Engineering, Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Science Technology (Physics) from a recognized Institution or
– A degree in Science disciplines that that includes Physics from a recognized Institution or
– Having passed the mature age entry examination administered by the University
– At least a credit or second class lower in other Diplomas or Certificates approved by the University to be equivalent to any of those stated in parts (a) to (d) above.
How To Apply
To apply online, the students need to do the following:
– Make sure they have the relevant documents need.
– Have and Email Address and Internet Connection.
– Visit the Admission Portal = https://admissions.kyu.ac.ug/
** All Applications are done Online
** An Application fee of 50,000 UGX for local students and 110,270 UGX for International Students has to be paid.
** Applications begin in March and end in May.
After completing the Bachelors in Telecommunications Engineering, you will be able to select from a number of careers at your disposal. The Telecommunications Engineers are responsible for designing, planning, installation, maintenance, troubleshooting and programming of telecommunication equipment.
Through the partnership with a number of telecommunication companies, vendors and other organizations in Uganda, E.A, and the rest of the world, we ensure that you are well trained on the latest telecommunication equipment and technologies.
Apart from achieving this degree qualification, you will graduate as an industry ready engineer with both practical, hands-on experience and highly desirable skills in the telecommunications engineering field.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ugandan and East African Community Students: $565
Tuition fees for Ugandan Students = 3,000,000UGX
Tuition fees for International Students = 4,500,000 UGX
– Students from other countries in the East African Community (EAC) pay the same amount as local students. The EAC countries include; Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi and South Sudan.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.
– There are other functional fees and other costs that you might incur while studying. These include costs for internship, research, medical fees and other expenses that you might include such as photocopying, printing, buying specialized equipment and tools.