By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
Statistical skills are important in all applied sciences such life sciences, medicine and related fields, physical sciences, social and behavioral sciences and are becoming increasingly so in emerging fields that require analysis of complex data such as marketing and finance. There is a constant demand for graduates with these skills in both industry and academia. The Masters of Science in Statistical Science offered at the Strathmore Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Strathmore University, provides an excellent balance between theory and application. The broad base of training in the important areas of statistical sciences will allow the student to successfully progress into professional employment or research.
Program Benefits & Outcomes
– The students will be able to judge, discuss and communicate the principles of estimation and inference that underpin basic statistical theory and statistical analysis
– The students will have a deeper knowledge of the use of statistical methods in empirical applications, be able to interpret, analyse, and critically evaluate results on the basis of scientific and ethical considerations
– This program will enable the students to critically, independently, and creatively identify and formulate problems of significance for statistical science.
– Provide the student with appropriate statistical and analytical training to carry out doctoral studies at any leading institution worldwide
The course covers 16 course units offered over 4 academic semesters and a subsequent dissertation project. The program relies on MATLAB, R, and C++ as the computing languages for modelling. Some of the core modules include the following:
– Statistical Inference
– Probability and Measure Theory
– Linear Models
– Design and Analysis of Survey
– Bayesian Modelling and Data Analysis
– Stochastic Processes
– Time series and Forecasting
– Design of Experiments
– Multivariate Statistical Analysis
– Predictive modelling and Data-mining
a) The following are eligible for admission into the MSc. Statistical Science:
– Holders of First Class or Upper Second in Mathematics or a related discipline; OR
– Holders of Lower Second Class degrees in Mathematics or a related discipline plus Postgraduate Diplomas in relevant areas; OR
– Holders of Lower Second Class Degrees in Mathematics or related disciplines plus a minimum of two years of working experience OR
– Holders of other related qualifications from recognized universities
b) In addition to meeting the above criteria, the applicants will be required to attend and pass an oral interview and a Graduate Entrance Examination (GEE).
c) They will also be required to present two reference letters from academic referees
NOTE: If the certificate you obtained in your country is not mentioned above, please message the “Course Contacts” and they will be able to answer all your questions
– Originals and copies of relevant (undergraduate & secondary school) certificates and complete academic transcripts with grades attained
– Two (2) completed Reference Forms. One referee should be Academic.
– An updated Curriculum Vitae/Resume.
– 3 passport size photos.
– A copy of National Identity Card (ID) or copy of Passport
– Kshs 2,500 Interview fee payable on the interview day
Please note that all photo-copies of certificates and ID should be certified by a lawyer as true copies of the original.
*Please report to the university’s admissions office or call 0703034228
Graduates are prepared for a diverse range of careers including:
– Financial analysis,
– Market research,
– Statistical Programming,
– Psychometrics, and any other career choices or fields which are of interest to the students.
In Kenya, a graduate with a Master of Science in Statistical Sciences can work with research firms like IPSOS/ Synovate, Kenya National Bureau of Statistics, Africa Population and HealthCare Research Centre, UN-HABITAT, KEMRI, KEFRI, KARI, ILRI, CDC, Regional Centre for Mapping of Resources for Development and many other firms that require the expertise of a Statistician.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $0
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students =
Tuition Fees for International Students =
The fees can be changed at anytime as decided by the school authorities.