By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$3,741 /year|
|Applications Begin:||April 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Arts in Social Work|
|Start Date:||February 2022|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
Promote social change, and the development and wellbeing of people.
The Social Work Department strives to be a centre of excellence in promoting social change, development, and the wellbeing of people, through research, teaching, and community service.
Social workers help individuals, groups, and communities solve problems relating to human relationships, and facilitate the empowerment and liberation of people by enhancing their wellbeing and promoting social change. Principles of human rights, anti-oppression, and social justice form the foundation of the profession.
During the four-year degree, you will learn about professional ethics and processes in social work, as well as different intervention models, the legislative framework, research methodologies, and concepts and theories underpinning the profession.
Once you’ve completed the undergraduate degree, you may extend your studies to Master’s and Doctorate levels.
– Psychology I
– Sociology I
– Social Work I
– Psychology II
– Sociology II
– Social Work II
– Social Work 111
– Psychology III
– Sociology III
– Field Instruction
– Social Work Theory
– Research Report
– APS 34+
– English Home Language OR First Additional Language Level 5
Applicants with an entry requirement of at least 30-33 APS points are wait-listed, subject to place availability.
Additional Selection Criteria
Potential social work students are required to write a National Benchmark Test (NBT) at an affiliated venue before 31 October 2019.
English Language (O Level: A-C | A Level: A-E | AS Level: A-D)
– The Student Enrolment Centre at Wits handles all student applications.
– Check the admission requirements for your degree. Check if any additional selection requirements apply.
– Submit your application, required documentation and application fee before the closing date.
– Local Students pay an application fee of R100 while International Students pay R700
– Once you have applied, an admissions consultant will be assigned to your application.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Marriage and Divorce Counsellor
– Substance Abuse Counsellor
– Development Planner Working with disadvantaged communities
– Personnel Manager
– Probation Officer
– Social Welfare Manager
– Social Welfare Researcher
– Social Worker in the fields of:
– Child and Family Welfare
– Educational Social Work
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African and SADC Students: $3,741
Tuition Fees per year for South African Students = R56,920
Tuition Fees per year for International Students = R113840
(The tuition fees for International students includes an additional International Registration fee R6,650 to the normal fees.)
**Students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member countries pay also annual local tuition fees and related costs (The SADC member countries are Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe)
International Students should take note:
– 75% of the annual tuition fee is payable on or before registration, as well as 75% of the on-campus accommodation fee.
– This payment includes the annual tuition fees and other related costs.
– The balance of the fees is payable by 31 March for undergraduate students, and for postgraduate students 30 days after registration. This excludes students with Refugee status.
– Fees clearance is to be obtained from the Fees Office.
– If you are sponsored, your sponsorship letter has to be vetted by the Financial Aid and Scholarships
– All international students (those who are not South African citizens or who do not have permanent residence status in South Africa) are required by the Department of Home Affairs to provide proof of available funds for the tuition fee for the academic year prior to receiving his/her study visa.