By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$1,897 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Commerce in Purchasing and Business Logistics|
|Start Date:||January 2022|
|Academic Unit:||School of Business and Economics|
|Application Deadline:||November 2021|
The Purchasing and Business logistics Major is a broad-based programme of study aimed at developing servant leaders and managers who are well trained and skilled in all aspects of creating value for customers and the firm by management of purchasing and logistics function.
The supply chain management concept is currently revolutionizing global business. Modern business organizations are becoming more and more aware that the management of logistics activities, also referred to as supply chain management, has tremendous impact on sales and corporate profitability.
As African enterprises attempt to compete with foreign imports or find a place for African products and services in world markets, there is a growing demand for graduates with the knowledge and skills necessary to use the tools of modern supply chain management to create:
– significant cost savings for the firm, it’s partners in the supply chain, and the final customer
– increased focus on the needs of the customer, improved customer satisfaction, and, ultimately, increased sales and profits.
– marketing tools that yield major competitive advantages for the firm
The Purchasing and Business Logistics major at Daystar is a broad based programme of study aimed at developing servant leaders and managers who are well trained and skilled in all aspects of creating value for customers and for the firm by management of purchasing and other logistics functions. The programme is prepare students for careers in purchasing, inventory management, packing and materials handling, warehousing and stores management, transportation, forecasting, production control, customer service management, project management, field service and support, international logistics, logistics information systems, and management of integrated supply chain functions.
The curriculum focuses on developing the quantitative tools necessary for application of computer based logistics management systems, and for integrating supply chain management principles and techniques with the other functions of the firm. It also carefully combines specialized purchasing and logistics courses with a solid foundation in the humanities and basic business disciplines to give the student a world view based on Christian principles and values as well as a complete understanding of the international business environment. Graduates will be well prepared to undertake studies leading to an MBA or a Masters in Supply Chain or Logistics Management.
Whereas there are many colleges and universities in Africa offering degree programs in Marketing, Business Administration & Management, Economics, and Accounting; there are few universities in Kenya offering a comprehensive and holistic study of managing both the supply and demand fulfilment activities of a firm’s business.The Daystar University program is unique in Africa in the breadth and depth of preparation of its graduates to take on positions of responsibility and leadership in managing supply chain functions in the modern business environment.
Objectives of the Purchasing and Business Logistics Major
This course aims at:
– Preparing servant leaders in a business, NGO, or other organization to develop and implement modern purchasing and
– Supply chain management procedures appropriate to the African environment.
– Explaining the role and functions of purchasing and business logistics in the organization, and integrating the quantitative and general management skills of these functions into the operations of the organization.
– Mastering purchasing and logistics resources and support systems and how to access them for the benefit of the firm.
– Providing a solid base in business administration, management, strategic planning, and policy formation and being prepared to assist top management in including purchasing and logistics into strategic and annual planning efforts to reduce costs, improve customer service and satisfaction, and gain competitive advantage.
– Acquiring skills in proper planning and implementation of modern, cost effective organizations for purchasing, inventory management, transportation, warehousing and stores, packing and materials handling, production planning and control, project management, management of service operations, customer service, international logistics, and logistics planning and control.
– Developing a responsible citizen who will apply Christian principles of morality, integrity, honesty and ethics in his/her profession
– Sensitizing the student to seek for further studies in Logistics or for an MBA.
Requirements for Graduation
To graduate a student must complete a total of 135 hours: 30 hours of general courses, 57 hours of core commerce courses, 42 hours of purchasing and business logistics courses and 6 hours of electives.
Applicants for the Bachelor of Commerce must fulfil entry requirements that apply to all Daystar undergraduate students, i.e. (a minimum of C+ in KCSE, or 5 credits in IGCSE; or 2 principal pass in A level; or division 2 in GCE or 50% from other countries). In addition they must have obtained at least a Grade of C (plain) in Mathematics.
Daystar admission forms are collected from either Athi-River campus or the Nairobi campus. On completion, the form is handed back to the registrar office with a fee of KSh. 2,000 which is not refundable. Deadlines for the application are; 30th November, 30th April and 31st July for January, May and August intakes respectively. Other required documents are:
– Two recent passport size photos for Kenyan student and four for international students all having names at the back
– Secondary, post-secondary, university or college certificates.
– Financial Information Sheet (Foreign students need to include a financial letter from sponsor guaranteeing payment)
– Completed student information sheet and copy of your passport (For foreign students only).
Career opportunities for Bachelor of Commerce in Purchasing and Business Logistics include:
– Industry Analyst
– Project Manager
– Global Logistics Manager
– Transportation Director
– Supply Chain Sales
– Supply Chain Consultant
– Procurement Analyst/Purchasing Manager
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $1,897
*Tuition fees per year for Kenyan Students = 205,120KES
*Tuition fees per year for Foreign Students= 211,120KES
International Students pay an additional 6000KES (Day students), 8000KES (Boarding Students) of orientation fees to the normal tuition fees.
All fees for each semester are payable in advance or before the date of registration by bankers cheque or direct bank deposit. The University does not accept cash payments or money orders. In order to assist sponsors who cannot raise full fees, the University allows payment of tuition and hostel fees in four equal monthly instalments from the first day of the semester. Sponsors wishing to pay the fees by instalments must apply to the Finance Manager before the semester begins.