By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$3,754 /year|
|Applications Begin:||April 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy|
|Start Date:||February 2022|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
One benefit of studying philosophy is that it introduces students to important and intriguing issues that are not dealt with at high school or in other subjects – issues concerning the foundations of their thinking and living. Another is that it acquaints them with thinkers and ideas that are of significant historical importance.
For most students, however, the main benefit of studying philosophy is that it develops their powers of reasoning by forcing them to exercise those powers on especially difficult problems.
Philosophy could be combined with Economics and Political Studies (PPE).
The Wits Philosophy Department is an internationally respected philosophical centre with a long tradition of research and teaching excellence.
– Critical Reasoning and Thinking
– Introduction to Philosophy
– Introduction to Ethics
– History of Philosophy
– Philosophy of Science
– Social and Political Philosophy
– African Philosophy
– Symbolic Logic
– Philosophy of Art
– Epistemology and Metaphysics
– Philosophy of Social Science
– History of Philosophy
– Select Movements in 20th Century
– GENERAL BA
– APS 34+
– English Home Language OR First Additional Language Level 5
Applicants with entry requirements of at least 30-33 APS points are wait-listed, subject to place availability.
English Language (O/IGCSE Level: A-C | AS Level: A-C | A Level: A-C)
– The Student Enrolment Centre at Wits handles all student applications.
– Check the admission requirements for your degree. Check if any additional selection requirements apply.
– Submit your application, required documentation and application fee before the closing date.
– Local Students pay an application fee of R100 while International Students pay R700
– Once you have applied, an admissions consultant will be assigned to your application.
Career opportunities for programme include:
– Social Worker
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African and SADC Students: $3,754
Tuition Fees per year for South African Students = R56,920
Tuition Fees per year for International Students = R113840
(The tuition fees for International students includes an additional International Registration fee R6,650 to the normal fees.)
**Students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member countries pay also annual local tuition fees and related costs (The SADC member countries are Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe)
International Students should take note:
– 75% of the annual tuition fee is payable on or before registration, as well as 75% of the on-campus accommodation fee.
– This payment includes the annual tuition fees and other related costs.
– The balance of the fees is payable by 31 March for undergraduate students, and for postgraduate students 30 days after registration. This excludes students with Refugee status.
– Fees clearance is to be obtained from the Fees Office.
– If you are sponsored, your sponsorship letter has to be vetted by the Financial Aid and Scholarships
– All international students (those who are not South African citizens or who do not have permanent residence status in South Africa) are required by the Department of Home Affairs to provide proof of available funds for the tuition fee for the academic year prior to receiving his/her study visa.