By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$1,897 /year|
|Applications Begin:||June 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science in Optometry|
|Start Date:||October 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Medicine|
|Application Deadline:||August 2021|
Optometry is a profession concerning vision, the practice of which includes the determination and evaluation of the refractive status of the eye.
It also includes the detection of the diseases both ocular and systemic and in the selection, design, provision, and adaptation of optical and optically related corrective measures. An Optometrist is a person qualified and authorized to practice optometry in all its aspects.
The profession of optometry is a combination of legal. Educational, practice management, service a delivery and public health initiative that is unique to every country. It based on culture, educational and regulatory frameworks.
Optometry is more than just the correction of refractive error. Uncorrected refractive error is the second highest cause of blindness and the main cause of visual impairment globally.
The focus of the program is to qualify Optometrists who are competent, compassionate with a humane and holistic approach towards their patients. The quality of education imparted to the Students is constantly improved by upgrading teaching and learning methods through a continuous process.
The overall objective of the course is to train competent Optometrists who can provide comprehensive preventive, promotive, curative and rehabilitative eye health and vision care services, which include refraction, dispensing, detection/diagnosis and management of diseases of the eye, and rehabilitation of conditions of the visual system.
The curriculum is a full-time semester and program of study with the following major aims and objectives:
The specific objectives of this program shall be able to;
1) Train an Optometrist to acquire knowledge, skills, and attitude to practice as primary eye care professionals
2) Train optometrists who will be able to teach Optometry at a School/College of Optometry, take up further education and do research in the ophthalmic field.
3) Train Optometrists who will independently perform comprehensive clinical eye examination including refraction, and detection of pathological disorders of the eye and related systems.
4) Train Optometrists who will independently prescribe all types of optical corrections including spectacles, contact lenses, low vision aids, vision therapy, and eye exercises.
5) Create an opportunity for Ordinary Diploma holders to upgrade knowledge and skills.
Programme Learning Outcomes
At the end of the program graduate (optometrist) should be able:
1. Assess the visual function of the eye to client/patient
2. Assess ocular health to the public/community
3. Prescribe and fit contact lenses to clients/patients
4. To provide comprehensive eye care
5. Plan and implement eye care programs in clinical/community settings
6. Conduct research on eye care
All courses are taught in English. Therefore it is imperative that students are proficient in reading, writing and speaking English.
Three principal passes in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with minimum entry of 6 points. Whereby one must have at least C grade in Chemistry and at least D grade in Biology and E grade in Physics
All equivalent applicants may apply for the above programmes if they meet the requirements stated below:
– Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (CSEE) with at least five (5) passes including two credit passes in Chemistry and Biology and a D grade in Physics PLUS appropriate Diploma or Advanced Diploma with an average of “B+’’ or GPA of 3.5
BSc (lower second) majoring in Physics/Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology /Zoology
How to Apply:
Every Applicant should prepare documents which include:
– Relevant certificates
– Birth Certificate, among others (Contact School = email@example.com)
All of the documents should be attached to an application form which can be gotten with a fee of:
** 50,000 TZS for local students
** 115485 TZS for International students
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– General practice doctor
– Clinical scientist, physiological sciences
– Dispensing optician
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Tanzanian Students: $1,897
Tuition Fees for Tanzanian Students = 4,400,000 TZS
Tuition Fees for International Students = 6,939,000 TZS
– Fees paid will not be refunded if the student leaves or withdraws or leaves the college without permission
– Actual costs will vary depending upon the specific year and needs of the student.
– Foreign students shall be required to pay for a resident permit, and must check the prevailing amount as may be determined by the Government from time to time.
– The University College reserves the right to change any fees, deposits, and other charges or any other provisions of this section at any time and without prior notification to the student or their sponsor and any such changes shall have immediate effect.