By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$636 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Diploma in Modern Chemistry Laboratory Technology|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Science|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
The programme for the training of technicians has been expanded following the establishment of four National Polytechnics and conversion of technical training institutes into facilities that train technicians. The student population in these institutions and those from secondary schools continues to grow.
Indeed, the National Polytechnics have recorded an increase of between 10.5 and 20.7 % whereas the student enrolment in other technical training institutes and institutes of technology rose from 15,155 in 2000 to 17,801 in 2001, an increase of 17.5 per cent (Ministry of Economic Planning and National Development, Economic Survey, 2002).
And in recognition of the fact that Kenya is geared towards industrialization by the year 2020, the country, therefore, requires technicians and technologists with adequate skills and knowledge in Chemistry and modern technology.
The course is designed to meet the needs of analytical and industrial chemical laboratories in teaching, research, industrial chemical processes and quality control. The major fields of study shall include basic organic, inorganic and physical chemistry biochemical techniques, instrumental methods of analysis and general industrial processes.
The Department of Chemistry recognized the importance of technical training and launched a Certificate in Science Laboratory Programme. An average of thirty graduates per year have been trained since its inception three years ago. The Department of Chemistry has introduced Diploma in Modern Chemistry Laboratory Technology so as to address the national demand for quality-trained technicians.
The programme aims to provide practical experience in modern analytical instrumentation and procedures, graded from basic equipment to the most up-to-date, microprocessor-controlled devices. The programme also aims at enabling the certificates graduates of Egerton University and those from other institutions to competitively access higher education.
At the end of the second year of study the students will go for field/industrial attachment. The field placement will be an opportunity for students to practice and develop the analytical skills through work.
At the end of the programme the graduates should be able to:
– Carry out modern chemistry laboratory analytical procedures in various research fields like agriculture, biochemistry, medicine, etc.
– Handle and maintain basic and modern equipments in teaching, research and quality control laboratories.
– Participate in the general implementation of sustainable scientific and technological developments in teaching, research and quality control.
– Plan and administer routine analysis and safety regulations in teaching, research and industrial environment.
– Pursue further education.
Duration of Study
The programme is designed to take at least three academic years. A full-time registered student shall complete the course in three calendar years and six calendar years for part-time student. Each academic year shall have three BLOCKS: in April (4weeks), August (4 weeks) and December (4 weeks).
At the end of second year there shall be mandatory practical attachment in a relevant scientific laboratory for a period of at least 8 weeks at work place or in a recognised teaching, research institution, or industry. The curriculum is organised in a unity system where one unity is weighted on number of C.F s as follows:
– One (1) lecture hour per week is equivalent to one credit factor.
– Two (2) practical hours per week are equivalent to one credit factor.
– The major training aspects constitute about two-thirds of the curriculum while back-up subjects constitute one-third.
– The students will be required to pass all courses registered before graduation.
– The award will be entitled: Diploma in Modern Chemistry Laboratory Technology.
Examination Rules and Regulations
All the university rules and regulations shall apply for the Diploma in Modern Chemistry Laboratory Technology.
The minimum entry requirements for the Diploma of Egerton University shall apply as follows:
A mean grade of C of Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) or KCE/EACE division II or at least one principal pass at EAACE or its equivalent.
Individual minimum score of grade C (KCSE) in each of the following subjects;
– English or Kiswahili
– Physics and chemistry or physical science
– Biology or biological sciences
Holders of certificate in Science Laboratory Technology, with a minimum credit pass, from institutions recognised by Egerton University, may be considered for admission.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– assistant technician
– senior/lead technician- team leader technician
– laboratory manager.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $636
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 70,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 91,000
EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.