By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$2,691 /year|
|Applications Begin:||March 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science (BSc)|
|Start Date:||February 2022|
|Academic Unit:||College of Agriculture, Engineering & Science|
|Application Deadline:||30 September 2021|
The field of microbiology is an exciting area of science. Students learn how to detect and quantify micro-organisms in foods, beverages and diverse environmental materials.
Students can use various analytical techniques, spanning from light and electron microscopy to DNA fingerprinting and mass spectrometry to explore the ecophysiology, cellular structure and diversity of microorganisms.
Year 1 – BIOL101(16), STAT130(16) CHEM110(16), 120(16), MATH150(16), PHYS131(16)
Year 2 – Pietermaritzburg: (BIOC201(16) or CHEM220(16)), MICR213(16), 214(8), RDNA202(16)
Westville: MICR213(16), 215(16), RDNA202(16)
Year 3 – Pietermaritzburg: MICR304(16), 307(16), 320(16), 360(16)
Westville: MICR304(16), 306(16), 307(16), 311(16)v
– NSC degree pass with Maths, English, Life Orientation and Agricultural Science/Physical Science/Life Science at level 4.
– Admission points required: 28-48 (highest scoring students took first; BSc in Industrial and Applied Biotechnology requires a minimum point score of 30).
– The closing date for applications is 30 September.
Closing dates for Undergraduate Programmes:
Medicine: 30 June
All other programmes: 30 September
– Applications to study must be made in the prescribed manner via the Central Applications
Office (www.cao.ac.za), and must include the presentation of the Matriculation Certificate where specified.
– An applicant who has studied at any other tertiary education institution must, in addition, present an academic record and a certificate of conduct from that institution.
For new admissions:
– APS (Accumulated points score)
– Selections are processed on a sliding scale, on academic merit, with the minimum as per subject requirements.
Some career opportunities are;
– Biomedical scientist
– Clinical research associate
– Food technologist
– Healthcare scientist, immunology
– Research scientist (life sciences)
– Technical brewer
– Water quality scientist
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African & SADC Students: $2,691
South African students pay R44626 per year as tuition fees.
Students from SADC countries pay local tuition fees plus a levy of R3400 (R1800 per semester)
– All students from SADC and other African countries pay: R470
– All students from outside of Africa: U$146
– Students from within Africa but outside SADC and from the rest of the world are required to pay US $ 14 535.00 per annum; i.e. U$ 6 895.00 per semester (first or second) inclusive of the international levy, where registration is required for one semester only to complete a qualification.