By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$4,088 /year|
|Applications Begin:||August 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Medicine And Surgery|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Medical School|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
Why study the programme
The programme aims at producing graduates who are: –
– Competent in understanding and delivering effective, humane, and ethical medical care in diverse resource environments.
– Committed to research, application of evidence based medicine and life-long learning.
– Committed to community service and leadership in health care.
– Committed to foster an environment that promotes communication, collaboration, cultural diversity and internationalization.
– Apply the knowledge of the core concepts and principles of the biomedical and psychosocial sciences in the provision of healthcare.
– Communicate effectively with colleagues, patients and their families, the community, and others in the professional setting.
– Utilize information technology in the management of knowledge, decision-making, medical problem solving, health information systems and research.
– Apply the process of critical thinking and evidence-based medicine in healthcare
– Work effectively as a leader and a member of the health delivery team
– Demonstrate the highest standards of professional integrity, ethical behaviour, and an understanding of and sensitivity to diversity.
– Apply scientific approaches to medical research and disseminate findings.
– Demonstrate habits and skills for self-directed and life-long learning, self-reflection and continuous professional development
– Practice medicine in a community context and contribute to the identification and solving of community health problems with emphasis on prevention of ill-health, promotion and maintenance of good health, and rehabilitation.
– The duration of the course shall not be less than six academic years and not more than twelve years.
– All units in the M.B,Ch.B., programme shall be compulsory unless the School Board recommends exemption and senate approves.
– The academic year in the School of Medicine shall be divided into 3 terms, with a minimum of 44 weeks. Each term shall be 14 or 15 weeks exclusive of any examinations.
Candidates wishing to study for the Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery degree shall have met the minimum University entry requirements.
In addition, the applicants shall meet the school entry requirements based on the following subject cluster:
**K.C.S.E. holders: A minimum of mean grade B (plain) with a minimum score of B in each of the cluster subjects shown above.
**Advanced Level Holders – A minimum of 2 principal passes; in Biology, Chemistry, and a subsidiary pass in either Mathematics or Physics.
**Diploma Holders in Medical Sciences – A minimum “O” level Division II pass or K.C.S.E Mean Grade C (plain) and credit pass C (plain) in the cluster subjects or a minimum of one principal pass and two subsidiaries in the cluster subjects in K.A.C.E (A Levels) in addition to a credit pass in the subsequent professional qualifications from a recognized medical training institution.
**Holders of any degree in Biological Sciences or equivalent qualifications from a university recognized by the Mount Kenya University senate.
**Holders of other qualification equivalent to (i – iv) mentioned above and acceptable to university.
**Application forms can be downloaded from www.mku.ac.ke or collected from the school campuses/ marketing centres. Duly filled application forms should be addressed to the Registrar – Academic Administration.
The following Documents should be made available:
– Copies of all academic certificates including secondary school certificates, Bachelors, Diplomas & Certificate level transcripts and certificates.
– One (1) recent passport size photograph (write your name on reverse side)
– Copy of national I.D/Passport.
Application fee is as follows:
– a) Kshs 1000 for Certificate, Diploma and under- graduate programs for the East African applicants. USD 50 for the Non-East African Applicants.
– Kshs 2000 for Postgraduate programmes for East African Applicants. USD 100 for Non-East African Applicants.
Application for admission does not guarantee admission into the University for course applied for; this will be subject to fulfilment of all requirements and class size as approved by the University Senate.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Clinical radiologist.
– General practice doctor.
– Hospital doctor.
– Physician associate
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African applicants: $4,088
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 450,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs 540,000
Students from Countries in the East African Community (EAC), pay the same amount as Kenyan Students. The six countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– All international students (Non East African) are to pay additional (statutory fee, quality assurance & tuition fee) of 20% above the normal fee.
– The university fees payment can also be done in easy instalments within the semester. The instalments are as follows: 30% upon registration, 30%- second instalment, 20%-third instalment 20% – fourth instalment.