By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
JKUAT is the first institution in Kenya to offer a B.Sc. in Medical Microbiology. The aim is to produce Medical Microbiologists to fit various sectors of our health care system, including medical research institutions, pharmaceutical industries, in quality control laboratories and training institutions like universities and polytechnics. Apart from tapping fresh high school graduates, those with a diploma in the related will also get a chance to have a B.Sc. degree to advance their knowledge locally in their profession.
– Communication Skills
– Developmental Studies and Social Ethics
– Mathematics for Sciences
– Microbial Diversity
– Plant Diversity
– Cell Biology
– Introduction to Microbiology
– Medical Instrumentation
– Introduction to Genetics
– Invertebrate Zoology
– Introduction to Animal Physiology
– Atomic Structure
– Physical Chemistry I
– Organic Chemistry I
– Information Technology I
– Medical Techniques
– Microbial Physiology
– Prevention and Control of Infectious Diseases
– Environmental Microbiology
– Human Anatomy and Physiology
– Chemical Bonding and Structure
– Mathematics for biologists
– Information Technology II
– Environmental Science
– Biochemistry of microorganisms
– Biostatistics and Experimental Design/ SZL 2304 Biostatistics
– Research Methodology and Data Analysis/SZL 2230 Research Methodology
– Diagnostic Medical Microbiology
– General Pathology
– Introduction to Molecular Biology
– Ethics and Risks in Medical Microbiology
– Industrial Microbiology
– Discovery Strategies in Biotechnology
– Introduction to Bacterial Systematics
– Microbial Genetics
– Basics of Immunology
– Community Health
– Entrepreneurship Skills
– Medical Bacteriology I
– Medical Bacteriology II
– Medical Virology I
– Medical Virology II
– Medical Mycology
– Microbial Food Toxicology
– Recent Advances in Medical Microbiology
– Health Management and Economics
– Field Attachment
– Applied Microbial Ecology
– Genetic Engineering I
– Genetic Engineering II
– Parasitology I
– Parasitology II
– Immunology I
– Immunology II
– Research Project (2 Units)
Students wishing to study Medical Microbiology must satisfy the minimum University and Faculty of Science entry requirements.
A student to be admitted must also satisfy any of the following minimum requirements.
1.1 Must have passed Biology or Biological Sciences in the K.C.S.E. at a minimum grade of B-, Mathematics C- and Chemistry or Physical science with a minimum grade of C–. In addition, a student must have passed in any one subject from the following alternatives
1.2 Have a minimum of 2 principal passes in science subjects in Kenya Advanced Certificate of Education (KACE) one of which must be Biology,
1.3 Have a diploma in relevant subjects from an Institution recognized by the University Senate,
1.4 Have a Higher National Diploma with a credit pass in Medical Microbiology related subject from an Institution recognized by the University senate,
1.5 Have any other qualifications accepted by the University Senate as equivalent to 1.1 to 1.4
Students who hold 1.3 above may at the discretion of the Faculty of Science be admitted directly to the second year of the course in which case they may complete their course in a minimum of three academic years and a maximum of five academic years.
Students who hold 1.4 above may at the discretion of the Faculty of Science be admitted directly to the third year of the course in which case they may complete their course in a minimum of two academic years and a maximum of four academic years.
How to Apply
Application Requirements for qualified students:
– A dully filled registration form – to be obtained from the offices/website upon payment of non-refundable fee.
– Two passport size photos.
– Copies of relevant certificates
Applications for the courses are on official application forms.
1. click to download JKUAT IT Department application form. or obtain a hand-copy from the office.
2. Pay a non-refundable application fee as follows:
– Certificates: Kshs500
– Diplomas: 1000
– Degrees: Kshs1,500
– Masters: 1,500
Bank Account Numbers:
– Standard Chartered Bank Account number 0108023434900
– Barclays Bank Account Number 0775001216
– Co-operative Bank of Kenya Account Number 01129098952900
– National Bank Account Number 0100359580600
– Equity Bank Account Number 0090291251426
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Research Assistant
– Food, Industrial or Environmental Microbiologists
– Quality Assurance Technologists
– Sales or Technical Representative
– Clinical and Veterinary Microbiologists
– Medical Technologists
– Biomedical Scientist
– Clinical Research Associate
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East Africa Community Students: $1,388
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs152,806
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs183,367
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
NOTE: The tuition fees charged, may vary from programme to programme and from time to time, with foreign students paying 20% more that the Kenyan students.