By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$2,536 /year|
|Applications Begin:||April 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Health Sciences with Honours (BHSc Honours)|
|Start Date:||January 2022|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Health Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||30 June 2021|
The Bachelor of Health Sciences with Honours in the field of Medical Cell Biology is a research-intensive course aiming to provide students with a thorough understanding of cell and molecular biological processes in relation to disease.
The backbone of the course is based on seminars and discussion themes with research topics offered including:
– Teratology and Birth Defects with a specific focus on the in vitro and in vivo assessment of teratogenic agents on aspects of embryological processes.
– Reproductive Biology with interests regarding the processes of implantation and infertility.
– Neuroanatomy with a specific focus on mammalian sleep physiology and evolutionary links.
– Thrombosis and Inflammation, with a specific interest in disease manifestations and electron microscopy.
– Breast Cancer and Immunology, focusing on the in vitro assessment of cellular and molecular cancer processes.
Depending on the research topic chosen, students will be exposed to the following techniques:
Tissue and cell culture methodology
– Electron and light microscopy,
– PCR, cytokine analyses and statistical methods,
– Comparative histology
– Flow cytometry
– Experimental embryology
An undergraduate degree (BA, BSc, BHSc) with excellent results.
How to apply
– Applications are handled centrally by the Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC). Once your application is complete in terms of requested documentation, your application will be referred to the relevant School for assessment. Click here to see an overview of the Wits applications process.
– Please apply online. Upload your supporting documents at the time of application, or via the Self Service Portal.
– Applicants can monitor the progress of their applications via the Self Service Portal, view academic application status, accept an offer (once certified hardcopies have been received by SEnC), apply and check residence application status, and generate a fees estimate.
– Selections for programmes that have a limited intake but attract a large number of applications may only finalise the application at the end of the application cycle.
Some career opportunities are;
– FellowSenior Scientist.
– Laboratory Instructor
– InstructorDoctoral Fellow.
– Clinical Research Assistant
– Assistant Medical Transcriptionist.
– Laboratory Research Assistant
– Research TechnicianAssociate Scientist.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African & SADC Students: $2,536
*Students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member countries pay the same annual tuition fees as South Africans plus an International Registration Fee (IRF). The SADC member countries are Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Swaziland, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
*Students sponsored by the Government of Rwanda will be treated as and pay the same amount as SADC students.
*Students from all other countries (Non-SADC) will pay the same amount as South African Students
*Diplomats and their dependents stationed in South Africa & International Wits employees and their dependents will pay South African tuition fees + International Registration Fee (IRF).