By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
Mechanical Engineering is the application of laws of solid mechanics, fluid mechanics and thermal sciences to the analysis, design and/or manufacturing of systems and products. Mechanical Engineers are concerned with the principles of force, energy and motion.
They play a key role in national, state and local economies by bringing their expertise in the development of power generation systems (such as steam turbines, jet engines and internal combustion engines) which provide mechanical power to all segments of society. They are responsible for the design of the machines used for mass production of of engineering products.
The Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering at J.K.U.A.T offers the fundamental education in the engineering sciences and engineering design.
The engineering science component educates students in the fundamental principles of engineering, while the engineering design component emphasizes design methodology, enhances creative skills and develops students’ ability to solve open ended problems of the type common to industry.
The undergraduate experience is broad-based and includes, in the first two years, general education in mathematics, sciences and preliminary design courses that are common with curricula in other engineering programs.
The discipline of a rigorous technical program along with education in the humanities and social sciences provides a good foundation for a rich and rewarding career in a dynamic marketplace.
The Bachelor of science in Mechanical engineering course at J.K.U.A.T, spans over 5 academic years with two Semester Sessions in each year. Each academic year covers an average of 16 Units of coursework. A Unit is defined as the equivalent of 45 one-hour lectures spread over one semester of 14 teaching weeks.
In addition, every student is required to undertake practical attachment during the second, third and fourth year of study for a period of not less than 8 weeks, each year being an equivalent of one unit. Click here to view Units Offered per year
Students graduate with strong bias in either thermo fluid and energy related specilaization , automotive or production engineering. All units taken in first, second and third year are common. In the fourth and fifth year of the programme, a student takes units of which a group is in the chosen area of specialization.
Some of the units offered:
– History of Technology
– Engineering Drawing
– Communication Skills
– Physical and Inorganic Chemistry
– Applied Geometry
– Physics for Engineers
– Workshop Processes & Practice
– Introduction to Material Science
– Development Studies
– Introduction to Computer Science
– Organic Chemistry for Engineers
– Engineering Materials
– Engineering Mechanics – Statics
– Computer Aided Drawing
– Electrical Circuit Analysis
– Computer Programming
– Differential Equations
– Fluid Mechanics
– Engineering Thermodynamics
– Engineering Mechanics
– Mechanics of Machines
– Linear and Boolean Algebra
– Partial Differential Equations
– Solid and Structural Mechanics
– Introduction to Electrical Machines
– Introduction to Engineering Design
– Gear Mechanisms
– Design of Transmission Systems
– Industrial Hydraulics
– Material Forming Processes
– Control Engineering
– Material Science
– Wind Tunnel Experimental Techniques
– Production Technology
– Engine and Power Transmission System
– Machine Design
– Numerical Methods for Engineers
– Final Year Project I
– Gas Dynamics and Boundary Layer Theory
– Computational Fluid Dynamics
– Pneumatics and Electro-Hydraulics
– Engine Technology
– Internal Combustion Engines
– Jig and Tool Design
– Experimental Stress Analysis
– Power Plants
– Heat Transfer
– Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing
– Measurement and Instrumentation
– Reverse Engineering
– New and Renewable Energy Resources
– Fluid Flow Machinery
– Building Mechanical Engineering Services
– Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning
-Automotive Electrical and Electronic Systems
– Vehicle Power Transmission System
– Metal Forming Processes
– Production Management
– Industrial Management
– Law for Engineers
– Operations Research
– Maintenance Engineering and Industrial Safety
– Entrepreneurship Skills
– Industrial and Environmental Noise Control
– Energy Management
– Vehicle System Engineering
– Mechanics of Metal Cutting
The following are the Requirements for admission into the degree programme:
– KCSE Mean grade B- (minus) and mean grade for the total score in the four JAB cluster subjects of at least B (plain) and the following minimum grades in the individual luster subjects: Mathematics C+, Physics C+, Chemistry C+, Geography or Biology, or 2nd group III, or any group IV.
– A’ level from the examination body approved by Senate with at least three principal Pass of nine (9) points and above in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or Geography.
– Holders of an Ordinary Diploma with Credit pass in a relevant field shall be admitted in the second year of study.
– Higher National Diploma (HND) holders in a relevant field shall be admitted in the third year of study.
How to Apply
Application Requirements for qualified students:
– A dully filled registration form – to be obtained from the offices/website upon payment of non-refundable fee.
– Two passport size photos.
– Copies of relevant certificates
Applications for the courses are on official application forms.
1. click to download JKUAT IT Department application form. or obtain a hand-copy from the office.
2. Pay a non-refundable application fee as follows:
– Certificates: Kshs500
– Diplomas: 1000
– Degrees: Kshs1,500
– Masters: 1,500
Bank Account Numbers:
– Standard Chartered Bank Account number 0108023434900
– Barclays Bank Account Number 0775001216
– Co-operative Bank of Kenya Account Number 01129098952900
– National Bank Account Number 0100359580600
– Equity Bank Account Number 0090291251426
Career opportunities for this course include:
– Aerospace engineer.
– Automotive engineer.
– CAD technician.
– Contracting civil engineer.
– Control and instrumentation engineer.
– Maintenance engineer.
– Mechanical engineer.
– Nuclear engineer
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East Africa Community Students: $1,851
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs203,742
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs244,490
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
NOTE: The tuition fees charged, may vary from programme to programme and from time to time, with foreign students paying 20% more that the Kenyan students.