|Tuition Fees:||$0 /year|
|Applications Begin:||June 2020|
|Final Award:||Master of Library and Information Science|
|Start Date:||September 2020|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Arts|
|Application Deadline:||9 October 2020|
The Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) programme of the University of Nairobi is geared towards empowering students in leadership, management and provision of quality information services. The programme is responsive to the challenges of emerging information and communication technologies (ICTs) as well as keeping with the needs to make information professionals globally competent. The Department produces information professionals who are not only visionary leaders and agents of change but also champions of the digital revolution in the knowledge-based economy. MLIS programme is designed to broaden student knowledge, skills, competencies and prospects within the emerging national and global trends, and in line with Kenya Vision 2030 policy.
MLIS – Profession and Discipline with a Difference
The MLIS programme targets graduates from a variety of backgrounds and specializations in humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. MLIS Graduates have adequate grounding in any discipline in the arts and humanities, natural sciences, applied sciences and social sciences, with strong leadership potentials and commitments to deal with the challenges and opportunities of the modern digital age. The programme attracts applicants working in the information industry and related fields from all over Kenya and the greater East African region and also provides an avenue for graduates with first degrees in other disciplines to advance career opportunities in library and information management. We recruit students with strong leadership potentials and commitments to service in the information industry.
The MLIS programme provides a holistic approach which covers various specialization options. In addition, MLIS programme consists of various components including course work, examinations and project or thesis option.
The MLIS programme is a profession and discipline committed to transforming and innovating information professional leaders through academic excellence. No matter the professional or discipline background, the students’ talents and dreams are truly achievable and valid through the MLIS programme.
The MLIS is a programme with a difference:
– Based on the needs assessment in relation to demands and employability of the information graduates in the emerging national and global markets.
– Provides multidisciplinary education, training and research opportunities to students in the information industry in response to emerging and new trends in ICTs.
– Integrates students from various disciplines and backgrounds in the arts and humanities, natural sciences, applied sciences and social sciences.
– Provides specialization options that suites the various needs and demands of the students in the ever-changing information industry.
– A flexible programme that enables the students to select best and convenient learning modes including full time, part-time, ODEL, course work, examinations and options of project or thesis.
– The programme attracts applicants from all over Kenya and the greater East African region.
– Provides opportunities to both young and adult learners with first degrees in information-based qualifications and other disciplines to advance careers in library and information management.
– Transforming information professionals through novel knowledge, innovative skills, competencies, research and consultancy.
Teaching, Learning and Research Methodologies
MLIS programme is a multidisciplinary profession that integrates various methods or approaches of teaching, learning, pedagogy, research, theory, principles and practice. Additionally, practical and internship attachments in the information industry are mandatory to all students. MLIS profession and discipline embraces and stresses the application of ICTs solutions in all teaching, learning and research processes.
The MLIS programme:
– Offers specialization options that allow students to select the programme that best suits their academic and learning needs and demands.
– Provides the students with the unique opportunity to acquire novel knowledge and skills from leading and scholarly teaching, learning and research institution.
– Enables the students to attend practical and internship attachments in order to acquire hands-on experience and engage with the real-employers in the information industry.
– Provides an avenue for graduates with first degrees in other disciplines to advance career opportunities in information and knowledge management including emerging and new trends in ICTs.
– Provides state-of-the-art facilities and resources for teaching, learning and research purposes.
– Engages professionally competent staff who are readily available to teach, guide and counsel the students in the teaching and learning processes.
– Provides open, collaborative and inclusive teaching, training and learning environment.
– Provides students with convenient modes of learning through full time, part-time and Open Distance E-Learning (ODEL).
– Part-time and ODEL modes are convenient for students who cannot attend regular university programmes.
– Fountain of novel knowledge, innovative skills and competencies in the modern information industry.
The MLIS programme shall consist of course work, examinations, and a project paper (Option 1) or thesis (Option 2), and shall run for a minimum of four (4) and a maximum of ten (10) semesters of fifteen weeks each. This maximum may be extended only with the prior approval of the Senate of the University of Nairobi.
MLIS programme has 4-specialization options that include several cores and elective courses and components that provide holistic academic education and learning to the students. Credit transfer and exemption are offered but based on the University of Nairobi regulations, although this does not reduce the requirements for the programme.
MLIS project programme includes 8 core courses and 4 electives while MLIS thesis programme has 4 core courses and 4 electives. The project is equivalent to 4 units and the thesis equals 8 units.
(a) Option 1: Research Project
(b) Option 2: Thesis
Mode of Study
There shall be two (2) modes of study
Mode of Instruction
Instructions for module 1 and 2 shall be given in the form of lectures, lecture-discussions, class presentations, seminars, lab work, student-lecturer consultations, supervised independent research, or any combination of these. Students shall undergo continuous assessment in each taught course which shall take the form of written tests, term paper, oral presentations, industrial attachment, or any combination of these.
The MLIS programme is guided by the application requirements and admissions selection criteria and common regulations of the Master’s Degree in the Faculty of Arts that spells out the minimum qualifications for the students.
The student must meet the application and admissions requirements and attach the necessary documents when applying for the MLIS programme.
In addition, an applicant must have the following minimum qualifications:
– At least an upper-class second honours degree or equivalent in any discipline from the University of Nairobi or any other university recognized by the University of Nairobi senate.
– At least a lower-second class honours degree or equivalent in any discipline from the University of Nairobi or any other university recognized by the University of Nairobi senate with three (3) years experience.
– A pass in the first degree or equivalent in any discipline from the University of Nairobi or any other university recognized by the University of Nairobi senate with at least five (5) years experience.
Students are advised to keep abreast with changes through the Websites of the Faculty of Arts and the Department of Library and Information Science for the application and admissions requirements or MLIS Handbook. When applying potential students are kindly requested to follow and meet the application deadlines within the stipulated period of time.
How to Apply:
Applicants should visit = https://application.uonbi.ac.ke/ to apply Online
University of Nairobi has three intakes in an Academic year. Main intake being in September/October for all the courses and December/January for Bachelor of Education(Arts), Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Hospitality Management, Bachelor of Travel and Tourism April/May for Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Education(Arts), Bachelor of Education Early Childhood, Bachelor of Commerce, Bachelor of Economics ,Bachelor of Economics and Statistics ,Bachelor of Journalism and media Studies, Bachelor of Art Broadcast Production, Bachelor of Hospitality Management, Bachelor of Travel and Tourism, Bachelor of Arts Broadcast Production and all Diploma and Certificate courses.
MLIS programme offers unlimited employment opportunities in diverse areas of the knowledge-based economy. MLIS graduates work in various sectors of the economy including
– training and research organizations,
– business establishments,
– government organizations and agencies,
– county governments,
– public and private organizations,
– cultural institutions and special collections,
– museums and related agencies,
– colleges and schools,
– research and development organizations,
– banking and financial organizations,
– medical and health agencies,
– international organizations,
– information record centers,
– publishing and book trade industry,
– computer and software organizations,
– internet and web communications,
– consumer goods and services corporations,
– media industry,
– law organizations and more.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $0
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students =
Tuition Fees for International Students =
**This programme will be completed after a duration of 2 years, with fees per year as follows:
– First year =
– Second year =
International Students pay 25% more than the Kenyan Students.