By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$559 /year|
|Applications Begin:||June 2020|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science in Library and Information Management|
|Start Date:||October 2020|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Science and Technology|
|Application Deadline:||September 2020|
Objective and Description
This is a three (3) year degree programme with six (6) semesters, each with 14 weeks of effective teaching followed by a week of examination preparation and two weeks of written examinations. The programme is designed to have library, information and management courses to enable graduates acquire necessary skills in the three areas that can make them competent in the labour market.
This degree programme covers four (4) elements of professional education in library and information management which include:
– Coverage of major courses and topics which is achieved through teaching using core materials.
– The integration of theory and practice by providing students with practical work after classroom sessions. This will enable students to easily apply the knowledge they learnt in classes in their future working stations.
– A field attachment in libraries and information centres that will expose students to the real working environments. In addition, a research report to be written after the field attachment will provide students with skills that can assist them in conducting independent inquiries about challenges they are going to face in their working environments.
As part of the practical work and outreach service to nearby community, lecturers and students will cooperate in organizing collection of school libraries within Mzumbe Ward
– Study Skills and Business Communications
– Introduction to Information Technology and System organisation
– Library Classification I Theory
– Library Cataloguing I: Theory
– Principles of Management
– Database and database Systems
– Information Literacy
– Library Classification II: Practical
– Library Cataloguing II :Practical
– International Cooperation and Development
– Records Management
– Collection Development and Management
– Indexing & Abstracting
– References and Information Services
– Library Automation and Networking
– Archives Management
– Social Science Research Methods
– Management of Digital Libraries
– Web applications design and implementations
– Management of Libraries & Information Centres
– Field Work Report
– Library and Technical Services
– Advanced database and database Systems
– Knowledge Management
– Intellectual Property Law
– Information Communication and Society
– Management of Academic Libraries
– Marketing Library Information Services
– Preservation of Library Materials
At least two principal level passes and one subsidiary pass in A-Level. If the principal passes do not include Mathematics then the applicant must have either a credit in Basic Mathematics or ‘D’ in Additional Mathematics at O-Level. Minimum admission points: 4.5
Diploma in Records and Archives Management, Public Administration, Human Resource Management or Library and Information Studies or Information and Communication Technology with an average of “B” or GPA of 3.0.
How to Apply
All applications are made through the University Online Application and Admission Portal (MUAAAP) available at admission.mzumbe.ac.tz. Please follow carefully the steps in the online application system. Before you go to online application system, make sure you have an email address and a mobile phone number.
Before proceeding with the application take note of following:
(a) An application with Foreign Secondary Certificates must be accompanied by the National Examination Council of Tanzania (NECTA) Equivalence translations.
(b) Applications with Foreign Certificates (Equivalent Qualifications) must be accompanied by the National Council for Technical Education (NACTE) Equivalence translations.
(c) Make payment of an application Fee, a Non-refundable TZS 10,000/=by following payment procedures after completing the Online Application and Admission System at admission.mzumbe.ac.tz
(d) Successful applicants will be notified through Mzumbe University Website, their system user accounts, email addresses and SMS through mobile phone number used during the application process.
Career Opportunities for Bachelor of Science in Library and Information Management include:
– Academic librarian
– Law librarian
– School librarian
– Data curator
– Instruction librarian
– Emerging technology librarian
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Tanzanian and EAC Students: $559
Tuition Fee per year for Tanzanian Students = 1,300,000 TZS
Tuition Fee per year for International Students = 5,785,500 TZS
**Students from Countries in the East African Community (EAC), pay the same amount as Tanzanian Students. EAC Countries include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– In the Tuition Fee per year is included; Registration, tuition, examination, and library services
– Fees may be paid in two equal instalments, an instalment being due at the beginning of each semester prior to registration
– Fees once paid are not refundable
– The University reserves the right to change fees at any time
– Direct student fees have been bench-marked against Government rates, but sponsors may vary them according to their policies