By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$901 /year|
|Applications Begin:||May 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Laws|
|Start Date:||August 2021|
|Academic Unit:||School of Law|
|Application Deadline:||July 2021|
The Faculty of Law (currently School of Law) evolved from the Department of Law which was established in 1968 as part of the Faculty of Social Sciences.
It became a full fledged Faculty in 1973. It was until 2002 the only Faculty producing Lawyers for the Legal Profession within Uganda.
The Faculty contributed significantly to the human resource development in the Legal profession where it has produced graduates who have become Justices of Supreme Court and of Court of Appeal and Judges of High Court, Attorney Generals, Legal practitioners, Magistrates, Corporate Legal Advisers, Academicians and other legal professionals in the public and private sectors.
The Faculty recently became a School in accordance with the collegiate arrangement of the University.
a). To promote and engage in cutting-edge legal research on contemporary legal topics and issues as well as legal scholarship in interdisciplinary and analytical spheres;
b) To develop and enhance the legal knowledge necessary for practical applications in national development, democratic governance and integrity in public and private institutions;
c) To establish and maintain state-of-the-art infrastructure to facilitate effective legal teaching, training and research;
d) To mobilize and secure adequate financial, human and other resources necessary for attaining the vision of the School of Law.
Entry into the Bachelor of Laws Programme is open to three categories of applicants namely:
Direct Entry Scheme
For admission to the Bachelor of Laws degree programme under the Direct Entry Scheme, an applicant must have:
i) The Uganda Certificate of Education (or equivalent) with at least five credit passes.
ii) The Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education with at least two principal passes in any of the subjects done at A- Level School obtained at the same sitting.
Diploma Holders Entry Scheme
An applicant must have at least a Second Class Diploma from a recognized Institution. Degree holders may also apply under this scheme.
Mature Age Entry Scheme
An applicant must have sat for and passed the National Aptitude Test and subject based Makerere Mature Age Entry examinations.
Other Admission Requirements
i) All applicants who apply for admission to the LL.B. programme shall undergo an Admission Test effective 2012/2013 academic year. The test will evaluate aptitude, analytical and communication skills.
ii) Detailed information on admission procedures, fees and requirements for each of the categories of admission can be obtained from the office of the Academic Registrar in Senate House or at www.mak.ac.ug.
HOW TO APPLY
1. Application forms and other relevant information may be obtained from undergraduate admissions Office, Level 3, Senate Building, Makerere University. Admissions are processed in May/June every year.
2. Non-refundable application fee of UG Shs.50,000 plus Bank charge of UG Shs.2,500/= should be paid from the following banks using Makerere University Paying-in-slips:
i. Any STANBIC BANK BRANCH MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 9030005816385
ii. DFCU BANK MAKERERE BRANCH MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 01013500181512
iii. CENTENARY BANK MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 4912300001
iv. CRANE BANK MUC – FEES COLLECTION ACCOUNT 0145053500100
3. After paying, each applicant must attach a copy of the paying – in slip to the application form and submit the completed application form to the Undergraduate Admissions Office in the Senate Building, Makerere University.
Candidates who hold grades X, Y, Z, 7 and 9 of ‘O’level results should not apply because they are Not eligible for admission.
Diploma holder applicants who hold class three (3) Diploma Certificates are not eligible for admission and therefore should not apply, except where stated in the diploma holders requirements.
Makerere University welcomes International Students who should follow the Application Procedure below;
1. Get pay in slips from Stanbic or DFCU bank at the main campus Makerere University where applicable.
2. After paying the Fee of USD $ 75 or 172,500 UGX take the bank slip to the main building (Finance Department) for verification where applicable.
3. On presentation of the application fee bank slip, pick the application form from Room 316, Level 3, Senate Building.
4. Applicants with academic documents prescribed in other languages other than English should be submitted to the School of Languages, Makerere University for translation into English.
5. Applicants who obtained qualifications elsewhere other than Uganda should take their secondary school academic documents to Uganda National Examinations Board (UNEB) located in Ntinda for purposes of being equated to Ugandan grades.
6. Completed forms should be returned to level 3, Senate Building, Room 316, and the following documents MUST be attached to the application form:
– Original Pay in slip from the Bank
– One Passport size photograph of the applicants’ current likeness
– Photocopies of Secondary School Certificates (i e Ordinary Level and Advanced Level) or its equivalent.
7. Diploma/Degree holder’s applicants MUST attach certified photocopies of their academic transcripts issued by the awarding institutions.
8. Applicants from countries where the language of instruction is not English are required to bring evidence of proficiency of English. However, Makerere University (School of Languages) conducts proficiency tests on request.
9. Applicants wishing to be admitted to the Bachelor of Laws programme offered by Makerere University are required to take a pre-entry examination.
10. International students MUST present insurance certificates from a reputable insurance firm at the time of admission. So, the insurance firm should cater for any eventuality not Makerere University.
11. The Academic Year normally starts in August every year. Applicants can download the form and send it with academic documents attached to; The Academic Registrar (Admissions), Makerere University, P O BOX 7062, Kampala-Uganda.
Career Oportunities for Bachelor of Laws include:
– Legal Advisor
– Public Prosecutor
– Teacher or Lecturer
– Legal Manager
– Legal Services Chief
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ugandan, EAC and Refugee Students: $901
Tuition Fee Per Year for Ugandan Students = 3,332,700 UGX
Tuition Fee per Year for International Students = 4,276,966 UGX
NOTE: Students from countries within the East African Community (EAC), as well as Refugee students, pay the same tuition fee as Ugandans.
**Member countries of the EAC sub Region include; Uganda, Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan and Tanzania.