By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$2,581 /year|
|Applications Begin:||April 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Education in Intermediate Phase Teaching|
|Start Date:||February 2022|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
The programme requires every graduate to be able to teach competently across a range of subjects – including English, additional languages and Mathematics. Students specialising in the Intermediate Phase are also trained to teach:
– Natural Sciences
– Social Sciences
– The Arts
– Life Skills
– Economic Management Sciences
The BEd qualifies you to teach in any school in South Africa and to register with the South African Council of Educators (SACE).
– Becoming a teacher and Being a Teacher 1 and 4
– Education I-IV 1-4
– Teaching Experience I-IV 1-4
– Mathematics for Primary School Teachers I-IV 1-4
– Literacy and languages for Primary School Teachers 1, 3, 4
– isiZulu I (Home language OR Add Language)
– Sesotho I (Home language OR Add Language)
– South African Sign Language I
– Social Science I
– Teaching Social Sciences (Intermediate Phase)
– Natural Science I
– Teaching Natural Sciences (Intermediate Phase)
– Life Skills for Primary School Teachers
– Arts for Teachers
– Personal, Social and Physical Wellbeing
– Financial Planning & Entrepreneurship
Two of the following Electives
– isiZulu (Conversational Competence)
– Sesotho (Conversational Competence)
– SA Sign Language (Conversational Competence)
– ICT Literacy**
– Fun with Choir
– Physical Activity and Sports in Schools
– School-based Support
– APS 36+
– English Home Language OR First Additional Language Level 5
BEd Foundation Phase (HFA00) program admission requirements for the 2021 intake to include A 50% pass in Mathematics or 60% pass for those doing Maths Literacy at the NSC level.
Applicants with an entry requirement of at least 31-35 APS points are wait-listed, subject to place availability.
Additional Selection Criteria
Preference is given to students with higher English results. Due to limited space, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee a place. Final selection is made subject to place availability, academic results, and other entry requirements, where applicable.
English Language (O Level: A-C | A Level: A-E | AS Level: A-D)
– The Student Enrolment Centre at Wits handles all student applications.
– Check the admission requirements for your degree. Check if any additional selection requirements apply.
– Submit your application, required documentation and application fee before the closing date.
– Local Students pay an application fee of R100 while International Students pay R700
– Once you have applied, an admissions consultant will be assigned to your application.
Primary school teacher (grades 4-7)
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African and SADC Students: $2,581
Tuition Fees per year for South African Students = R39,140
Tuition Fees per year for International Students = R78280
(The tuition fees for International students includes an additional International Registration fee R6,650 to the normal fees.)
**Students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member countries pay also annual local tuition fees and related costs (The SADC member countries are Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe)
International Students should take note:
– 75% of the annual tuition fee is payable on or before registration, as well as 75% of the on-campus accommodation fee.
– This payment includes the annual tuition fees and other related costs.
– The balance of the fees is payable by 31 March for undergraduate students, and for postgraduate students 30 days after registration. This excludes students with Refugee status.
– Fees clearance is to be obtained from the Fees Office.
– If you are sponsored, your sponsorship letter has to be vetted by the Financial Aid and Scholarships
– All international students (those who are not South African citizens or who do not have permanent residence status in South Africa) are required by the Department of Home Affairs to provide proof of available funds for the tuition fee for the academic year prior to receiving his/her study visa.