By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$1,013 /year|
|Applications Begin:||August 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science in Information Science|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
Information is an important resource in the day-to-day operations of individuals, organizations and society. Provision of timely and accurate information has become an important management function in decision making, preparation of action plans and control activities.
Information Science is thus an indispensable discipline as it covers the creation, storage, organization, retrieval, and dissemination of information in organizations, communities, and the society at large.
This programme seeks to enhance and strengthen the students’ scientific research to meet the market demand in training information specialists who will be equipped with knowledge and skills to manage libraries, information centres and information resources in a changing environment that is fast embracing the use of Information Technology.
Philosophy: Acquisition of knowledge and skills in Information Science facilitates career development, innovation and self-reliance in the Information age.
Information plays a key role towards industrialization and actualization of the Vision 2030. The Programme of Information Science ensures that students acquire skills and knowledge that will enable them to make a positive contribution to national development.
Information Science is an interdisciplinary field primarily concerned with the analysis, collection, classification, manipulation, storage, retrieval and dissemination of information. Practitioners within the field study the application and usage of knowledge in organizations, along with the interaction between people, organizations and any existing information systems, with the aim of creating, replacing, improving or understanding information systems.
The BSc in Information Sciences programme offered at Chuka University is a broad-based course which recognizes that the information professions of today are drawing closer together and sharing common grounds between librarians, information technologists, computer scientists, records managers, archivists, and publishers.
Graduates of Information Science will have numerous career options including but not limited to: Library and Information Management; Records and Archives Management; Information and Communication Technology; and Publishing and Media Informatics.
The overall goal of the program is to produce professionals who understand the importance of information and information management processes. The program is designed to provide fundamental skills needed to collect, analyze, classify, store and distribute, and to develop information management policies
The programme will be offered on a full-time basis covered in four (4) academic years, and part-time or school-based basis covered in six (6) academic years. To graduate, the student must complete a minimum of one hundred and twenty (120) credit factors and must pass in all courses taken.
Besides the Information Science core courses, the student must take all University Common Core Courses. Methods of delivery include; lectures, group discussions, seminars, practicals, field trips and research.
– Candidates admitted into this programme must fulfil the minimum general University entry requirements for a Bachelor’s programme.
– Applicants must have completed Secondary Education and obtained; a Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (or equivalent) with an average grade C+ and a minimum of C in both Mathematics and English, Applicants who have passed with at least a “Credit” OR its equivalent in the Diploma in Library and Information Studies from a recognized institution may join the programme.
– Applicants may be admitted under the Mature Age Qualifying Scheme as specified in the Statutes. The Department reserves the right to set a special qualifying examination and/or conduct interviews of applicants as individual cases may apply.
Applications should be on official forms available at the University Main Campus at Chuka, Igembe Campus at Ntuene or Keigoi High School, Embu Campus in Embu Town, Chogoria Campus at Nturiri High School, Tharaka Campus at Gatunga High School, OR Website: www.chuka.ac.ke; A Non-refundable fee of KES 3000 for Phd programmes, KES 2,000 for degree and diploma programmes and KES 1000 for certificate courses will equally be deposited.
The following documents should be made available:
– Originals & a copy of all Transcripts, Diplomas or Certificates (All originals, where necessary, will be returned)
– One recent passport size photograph (write your name on reverse side)
– Copy of the National Identity Card or Birth Certificate
– Preferred Campus should be indicated on the application form
– Certified copies of certificates and original fee payment receipt MUST be attached to the application form and returned latest two weeks prior to the commencement dates given for the programmes
Expected learning outcomes:
By the end of this programme the learner should be able to:
– Acquire skills essential for effective information organization, storage and dissemination.
– Develop information literacy and ICTs related skills in library and information science.
– Develop research skills in the field of Information Science.
– Meet the emerging trends in the field of Information Science.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students: $1,013
Tuition fee per year for Kenyan Students = KES. 110,000
Tuition fee per year for International Students = KES 137,500
– The Institute reserves the right to change fees without prior notice. However, fee changes are subject to approval by the Governing Council.
– The University policy obliges students to pay the full amount of fees as required on the first day of reporting before they are registered.