By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$636 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Diploma in Education (Arts)|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Education and Community Studies|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
The Diploma in Education (Arts) is a three academic year programme including a teaching practice and prepares those students who intend to be teachers in secondary schools. The programme is designed to provide access to education and meet the increased demand for teachers nationally and regionally.
i) To provide a basis for advanced training in education in both professional and specialized subject areas.
ii) To develop professional training and to develop intellectual and social characteristics of the students to enable them become responsible teachers and leaders within secondary schools.
iii) To develop the capability of students in conducting research in education.
iv) To develop appropriate procedures for investigation and analysis of the secondary school curriculum.
Course Structure and Duration
The diploma in education programme shall extend for a minimum period of three academic years including teaching practice.
• The students will pursue two subjects taught in secondary schools.
• They will study professional education core courses.
• They will undertake teaching practice in the two teaching subjects for a full secondary school term and a project in teaching/learning materials in one of the teaching subjects and for any class.
• A minimum of 90 credit factors must be covered for one to graduate.
COMS – Communication Skills
COMP – Computer
EAPE – Educational, Administration, Planning and Economics
EDCI – Educational Curriculum and Instruction
EDFO – Educational Foundations
EPSY – Educational Psychology
GEOG – Geography
HIST – History
KISW – Kiswahili
ENGL – English
PHIL – Philosophy
REST – Religious Studies
i) The first digit „0‟ represent the programme, in this case diploma.
ii) The second digit, e.g. „1‟ represents the academic year, in this case year one.
iii) The third digit, e.g. 2 represents the semester, in this case semester two.
iv) The fourth digit represents the unit.
The EDCI 0315 is an educational unit in curriculum and instruction taught to the Diploma students in year three, first semester.
All courses will be examined during the semester as continuous assessment, and an end of semester examination as follows:-
i) Continuous assessment shall constitute 30% of the total marks.
ii) Written examination at the end of the semester shall constitute 70% of the total marks.
iii) Pass mark shall be 40%.
iv) Courses which are purely of practical nature and or project shall be examined entirely by continuous assessment.
The grading of examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with in Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
To graduate a student shall be required to take and pass ALL scheduled courses within the stipulated period.
The programme is open to students who have passed with a mean grad or at least C (Plain) at KCSE Level. The applicant must also have passed with at least grade C (Plain) in English or Kiswahili. The applicant must have a grade C in the teaching subjects. Admission may be granted to holders of relevant equivalent certificate(s) from institutions recognized by the academic board. An applicant whose mean grade is at least C (Plain) and have bridged in the relevant teaching subjects can qualify for admission.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Some career opportunities for this course include:
– Community education officer
– Early years teacher
– Education administrator
– Education consultant
– English as a foreign language teacher
– Further education teacher
– Learning mentor
– Primary school teacher
– Secondary school teacher
– Special educational needs coordinator (SENCO)
– Special educational needs teacher
– Teaching assistant
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $636
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 70,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 91,000
EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.