By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$857 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Diploma in Dryland Resources Management|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Environment and Resource Development|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
The diploma programme in Dry land Resources Management seeks to train middle level human resource capacity to address the ever increasing need to realize sustainable dry lands production. The frontiers of these ecologically fragile regions are expanding due to increasing demand on livelihood resources for supporting increasing human needs and welfare.
The training of diploma holders has an advantage of imparting knowledge and skills to graduates who will deal with grassroots development issues in the areas that target improved human welfare. This curriculum has been enriched with courses that will enable graduates to offer services that will facilitate participatory approaches in dealing with issues of dry lands resource management. Graduates will have technical skills and knowledge that will enable them work in dry lands and among the communities therein. The program will be offered to both regular and Self-Sponsored students SSP.
Dry lands cover over 80 % of Kenya‘s landmass. These lands embrace a rich diversity of flora and fauna that constitute an important economic resource base. They are an important resource that supports the tourism and livestock based industries. In the past, utilizations of dry lands have emphasized livestock production and wildlife at the expense of other possible production enterprises.
The reason given for this attitude was that the dry lands lacked capacity to sustain arable agriculture with use of existing technologies developed for use in high potential areas.Worldwide, the dry lands are a source of irrigated food crops and other products. The diploma programme in dry lands management is geared to the production of middle level graduates with the capacity to diagnose the needs of the dry lands and provide appropriate advisory services on the management of these resources.
The aim of the programme is to equip graduates with relevant technical knowledge and skills that will:
– Enable them to disseminate technologies appropriate for sound management of dry lands.
– Provide advisory services to the clientele dealing with the management of the dry lands.
– Work as field officers capable of diagnosing pastoralists and farmers needs.
– Provide linkage between the pastoralists, farmers and researchers in designing appropriate development technologies.
Course Structure and Duration
The Diploma in Dry Land Resources Management shall normally take a full time student three academic years each with two seventeen – week semesters comprising of fifteen and two weeks of teaching and examination, respectively. During this period students will register for a minimum of eighteen Credit Factors per Semester.
To graduate with a Diploma in Dry Land Resources Management, a student will be required to take and pass a minimum of 118 Credit Factors which includes the University common core courses approved by the Senate.
The course codes are DLRM stands for ―Dry Land Resources Management″ followed by 4 digits. The first digit denotes a Diploma Programme. Second digit indicates the year the course is offered or level of the course. Third digitindicates the nature or sub-discipline of the course within the discipline,0 – Introductory courses,1 – Principle courses, 2 – Ecology, 3 – Climate, 4 – Management courses, 5 – Applied courses, 6 – Planning, 7-Research ,Seminars, and Students Projects, and8-Policy, Law and Administration. The fourth digit indicates the serial number of individual courses within a particular sub-discipline within the discipline.
All examinations for the Diploma in Dryland Resources Management shall be conducted in accordance with examination regulations as stipulated in Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
The grading of examination for Diploma in Dryland Resources Management shall be in accordance with Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
To graduate a student shall be required to take and pass all required courses within the stipulated time.
The classification for Diploma in Dryland Resources Management shall be in accordance with Egerton University Statute XXVIII for undergraduate students
– All candidates admitted to the diploma programme in Dry Land Resources Management must satisfy the minimum entrance requirements stipulated in the common university entrance regulations.
– In addition, candidates MUST have passed the Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education KCSE. with at least a C grade in each of the following: Biology or Biological Sciences, Chemistry or Physical Science, Geography, English or Kiswahili
N.B: Those holding qualifications equivalent to the above from institutions recognized by Egerton University Senate may also be admitted. An added advantage will be given to candidates who have passed with at least a C grade in Agriculture or Business Studies at KCSE
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Human Resources Manager
– Employee Relations Manager
– Compensation or Benefit Analyst/Manager
– HR Information Systems Manager
– Training and Development Manager
– Labor Relations Manager.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $857
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 94,340
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 122,642
EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.