By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$909 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Arts in Criminology and Security Studies|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
Sociology has always endeavoured to expose students or clients to the study of social life, social causes and consequences of human behaviour. Thus, in presenting a Bachelor of Arts degree in criminology and security studies CRSS, the faculty is meeting the national needs on capacity building in the police, prison and private security firms. Sociology provides a rich knowledge directly concerning these institutions.
It offers research techniques and contributes to institutional reforms particularly in criminology and security studies. The Programme is designed for students or clients who wish to pursue careers in police services, forensic investigations, human Rehabilitation services and security management.
The main objective of the programme is to provide an indept study of social life, social causes and consequences of human behaviour. This is structured into three areas of specialised options with respective objectives:
i) Rehabilitation and probation services.
ii) Security and disaster management.
iii) Criminal and forensic investigation.
Course Structure and Duration
The B.A Criminology and Security Studies programme shall extend for a period of eight semesters. This will be offered in the following alternative modes:
– Full time lectures/ classes shall run normally for a period of eight semesters.
– Part- time. In order to complete the course in eight semesters, the student shall attend a three hour – lectures in the evenings for five days in a week and a minimum of six hours in all.
– The part –time students shall be required to register for a minimum of six courses per semester in order to complete the degree programme in three years. The Programme in Criminology and Security Studies shall require the students to complete a minimum of twenty (20) criminology courses out of which at least 14 (80%) will be core courses. The students will take the options of their specialisation in fourth year. The criminology courses are coded as follows; ―CRSS‖ Stands for Criminology and Security Studies . It is followed by 4 digits interpreted alternatively as; introductory i.e. Second digit 1, 2 and 3 indicates areas of specialization/option, the third digit indicates the series of courses.
All examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with examination regulations as stipulated in the Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
The grading of examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with Egerton University Statute XXVIII.
To graduate a student shall be required to take and pass ALL scheduled courses within the stipulated period.
Degree classification shall be in accordance with Egerton University Statue XXVIII.
Any applicant who meets the minimum entry requirements for admission into the University in general and Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences in particular, may be admitted into this programme. Admission may be granted to outstanding holders of a certificate in criminology or police science/training from recognized colleges, who will have passed with at least a credit or its equivalent.
Alternatively, admission may be granted to Diploma holders with at least a credit or its equivalent in criminology or Police Science from a recognized institution. Diploma holders may qualify for credit transfer to the programme.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
The graduates of this programme will be prepared to take up managerial positions in the public sector especially in; the police service, prisons and probation departments. The private sector will find the graduates useful in security management and related roles. In general, it is expected that this programme will complement and sustain the professionalisation of the police, prison and probation services in East Africa and beyond.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $909
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 100,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 130,000
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.