By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$636 /year|
|Part-time Study:||4 years|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Diploma in Computer Science|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Science|
This programme has been reviewed with the intention of making it competitive while maintaining the high standard. With the Courses offered, the graduates will become highly competitive in the job market and at the same time become independent in making career choices. They will also be able to handle self-employment. Students are trained not only in the technical areas of specialization but also in self-discipline, communication skills and entrepreneurship.
The aim of this programme is to prepare students to fit into the world market entering at the middle level. The students are also to be armed with adequate skills that would allow them to advance their careers into computer profession. The objective of the program is to address the challenges listed above. Graduates of the program will be able to work independently or in teams in managing Information Systems and solving Information Technology related problems.
The graduates will also be able to join undergraduate degree program in computer science or related disciplines at senior level. The general objectives of the program are:
i) training students who will conduct themselves with commitment to excellence, high productivity and social responsibility;
ii) equipping the students with skills required to work as user support professionals, Network Administrators, Web Masters or Programmers.
Course Structure and Duration
Students will take and pass all the eighty five (85) Credit Factors. Full-time Students will complete the programme in a minimum period of eighteen (18) months within four semesters. Part-time students must register for a minimum of nine – (9) Credit Factors per Semester. Part-Time students will take a maximum of eight Semesters (36 months) to complete the programme. The programme will adopt the code COMP (Computer) followed by four digits.
The first digit will be zero (0), indicating the course is a diploma course.
The second digit signifies the year of study.
The third digit will denote the sub-discipline as follows:
1- Computer Architecture and Hardware
2 – Operating Systems
3 – Software Engineering
4 – Programming Languages
5 – Database Management Systems
6 – Distributed Systems
7 – Computer Networks
8 – Management and Entrepreneurship
9 – General Topics
The fourth digit signifies the sequential position of the course in a specific sub-discipline.
All examinations for Diploma in Computer Science shall be conducted in accordance with examination regulations as stipulated in the Egerton University Statute XXIX.
The grading of examinations for this programme shall be conducted in accordance with in Egerton University Statute XXIX.
To graduate a student shall be required to take and pass ALL scheduled courses within the stipulated period.
Degree classification for Diploma in Computer Science shall be in accordance with Egerton University Statute XXIX for undergraduate students.
The following shall be eligible for admissions to Diploma in Computer Science at Egerton University as per University Statute: Applicant must possess KCSE certificate with a minimum of C. In addition, he/she must have obtained at least the following grades:
– Physics C OR Physical Sciences C
– Maths C Kiswahili C
– English C
Applicant must possess KCE/EACE certificate with at least a Division three (3) with at least the following grades:
– Physics or Physical Sciences Credit five (5).
– Mathematics Credit four (4).
– English Language Credit six (6) OR
– Kiswahili Credit (6)
Applicant must have passed KACE/EAACE examination. In addition, he or she must possess at least:
Subsidiary pass in Mathematics and
– At least a credit pass in Physics/Physical Sciences at Ordinary level.
– Any equivalent qualification such as Certificate in Microcomputer Application, Programming etc recognized by the senate of Egerton University. Those with weak grades in physics and maths to be considered if they have certificates in Computer Applications and bridging from institutions recognized by Egerton University.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Some Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Computer Network Architect
– Software Developer
– Information Security Analyst
– Database Administrator
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $636
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 70,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 91,000
EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.