By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$909 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Commerce|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Commerce|
|Campus:||Nakuru Town Campus|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
The rationale of the Commerce degree programme is to provide students with a wide range of skills, knowledge, and attitudes to respond to their need for effective management of public and private business enterprises.
At the end of the training, the graduates will be expected to:
i). Effectively manage resources at their disposal according to contemporary economic, business management and technological trends;
ii). Carry out research with a view to finding solutions to contemporary problems affecting business development at various scales;
iii). Appreciate the complex relationship between the national economy and global economic trends; and
iv). Have acquired knowledge, skills and attitudes for pursuing further studies in Commerce.
Course structure and Duration
The Bachelor of Commerce degree programme takes four academic years for full-time. Part time students may be allowed to cover the programme within eight academic years. Course structure and requirements for a bachelor‟s degree:
i). Courses taken to fulfil graduation requirements are drawn from a cluster of University Common Core courses and from those specified by Faculties and Departments.
ii). In order to fulfil the graduation requirements for Bachelor of Commerce degree, candidates are required to take and pass at least 144 credit factors of courses approved by the Senate.
iii). Full Time Students will be required to complete a minimum of 36 credit factors each year which will be distributed as follows:
– First year, 9 credit factors from University wide courses, 27 credit factors from Faculty wide courses.
– Second year, 36 credit factors from core courses.
– Third year, 21 credit factors from core courses, 12 credit factors from specialisation options and 3 credit factors from electives.
– Fourth year, 18 credit factors from core courses, 15 credit factors from specialisation options and 3 credit factors from electives.
iv) Part-time Students shall be allowed to take a minimum of nine (9) C.F.s and maximum of eighteen (18) C.F.s per semester.
vi) The course code is four capital letters BCOM standing for the Bachelor of commerce, followed by three digits.
– 1st digit, Indicates year or level the course is offered, i.e. (1,2,3,4).
– 2nd digit, Indicates the nature of sub-discipline of the course within the discipline.
1 Levels 0 – General B.Com. courses
2 -Accounting course
3 -Marketing course
4 -Banking and Finance course
5 -Insurance and Risk Management course
6 -Co-operative Management course
7 -Human Resource Management course
8 -Management Science course
3rd digit, indicates the sequencing of the course
All the examination of the university shall be conducted in accordance with university statutes stipulated in the university statute No XXVIII.
The grading system will be conducted in accordance with Egerton University statutes XXVIII.
To graduate with a bachelor of commerce, a student shall be required to take and pass in all scheduled courses within stipulated time.
The Bachelors degree classification shall be in accordance with Egerton university statute programs statute XXVIII
i). All candidates admitted to the degree programme of Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) must satisfy the minimum common entrance requirements of Egerton University which currently is a C+.
ii). In addition, candidates must obtain at least the minimum cut-off points for the year as determined from any one of the following four cluster subjects from revised K.C.S.E. structure.
English or Kiswahili
At least any one from the following:
History and Government
Christian Religious Education
Social Education & Ethics,
Hindu Religious Education or
Islamic Religious Education
Biology or Biological Sciences; or
Chemistry or Physics or
Any one of the following:
iii) A Candidate must obtain at least a C grade in mathematics. Those with less than a C grade must take and pass a bridging course in mathematics.
iv) Those holding qualifications equivalent to the above from institutions recognised by Egerton University Senate may also be admitted.
v) Admission may be offered to CPA II and diploma holders in Co-operative Management, Banking, Finance, Agri-Business, Marketing, Insurance and Risk Management and Management Science disciplines passed with a credit or higher or their equivalent. Such cases will be treated on individual merit. Based on Senate approved guidelines, candidates may be allowed to transfer credits from a diploma course or its equivalent from an institution recognised by the University Senate up to a maximum of 30% of the required programme.
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Chartered Accountants
– Chartered Financial Analyst
– Company Secretary
– Loans executive
– Human Resource manager
– Certified Financial Planner
– Venture capitalist
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $909
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 100,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 130,000
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more that the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.