By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$2,143 /year|
|Part-time Study:||4 years|
|Applications Begin:||April 2021|
|Final Award:||PhD in Business Sciences|
|Start Date:||February 2022|
|Academic Unit:||Commerce, Law and Management|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
– The degree of Doctorate of Philosophy in Economic or Business Sciences is the School’s highest degree and is only offered through supervised research, to be conducted on an approved topic.
– This programme, supported by the African Economic Research Consortium (AERC), combines the traditional PhD structure in the School of Economics and Business Sciences (SEBS) and a partnership with other universities in Africa. It offers a rigorous and competitive training leading to the award of a doctoral degree in economics at the University of Witwatersrand.
– A masters degree or an equivalent qualification from Wits University or another university.
– A supervisor from the Faculty of Commerce, Law and Management must be identified and approached prior to application.
Additional Entry Requirements
Please note that acceptance into the programme is contingent on supervision capacity. Unfortunately, it cannot be guaranteed that a suitable supervisor will be available for every prospective student. Please first contact staff members within your relevant department with similar research areas before your application can be completed.
The following documents need to be submitted with your application:
1. Certified copy of your degree certificates
2. Certified copy of academic transcripts as well as grade key
3. All certificates need to be transcribed to English if in another language.
4. SAQA evaluation (International applicants)
5. Proof of English proficiency (International applicants)
6. Curriculum Vitae
7. Letter of motivation
8. A brief (5-10 page) proposal outlining your area of research interest
Your application will only be assessed once all the above documentation has been submitted.
We will unfortunately not be able to assess your application without your SAQA certificate or application fee.
– Applications are handled centrally by the Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC). Once your application is complete in terms of requested documentation, your application will be referred to the relevant School for assessment.
– Please apply online. Upload your supporting documents at the time of application, or via the Self Service Portal.
– Applicants can monitor the progress of their applications via the Self Service Portal, view academic application status, accept an offer (once certified hardcopies have been received by SEnC), apply and check residence application status, and generate a fees estimate.
– Selections for programmes that have a limited intake but attract a large number of applications may only finalise the application at the end of the application cycle.
Please note that the Entry Requirements are a guide. Meeting these requirements does not guarantee a place. Final selection is made subject to the availability of places, academic results and other entry requirements where applicable.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Business Analyst
– Bank Manager
– Market Research Specialist
– Investment Analyst
– Director of Finance
– Stock Broker
– Insurance Underwriter
– Risk Manager
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for South African and SADC Students: $2,143
Tuition Fees per year for South African Students = R31,200
Tuition Fees per year for International Students = R31,200
(The tuition fees for International students constitutes an additional International Registration fee R6,650 to the normal fees.)
**Students from the Southern African Development Community (SADC) member countries pay also annual local tuition fees and related costs (The SADC member countries are Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Democratic Republic of Congo, Eswatini, Lesotho, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe)
International Students should take note:
– 75% of the annual tuition fee is payable on or before registration, as well as 75% of the on-campus accommodation fee.
– This payment includes the annual tuition fees and other related costs.
– The balance of the fees is payable by 31 March for undergraduate students, and for postgraduate students 30 days after registration. This excludes students with Refugee status.
– Fees clearance is to be obtained from the Fees Office.
– If you are sponsored, your sponsorship letter has to be vetted by the Financial Aid and Scholarships
– All international students (those who are not South African citizens or who do not have permanent residence status in South Africa) are required by the Department of Home Affairs to provide proof of available funds for the tuition fee for the academic year prior to receiving his/her study visa.