By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$1,090 /year|
|Applications Begin:||January 2021|
|Final Award:||Master of Business Administration|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Commerce|
|Campus:||Nakuru Town Campus|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
The recent trends of globalisation and liberalisation for local and international economics, both public and private sectors require human resource with appropriate knowledge and skills necessary for efficient and effective planning, development and management in competitive changing economic environments.
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme of Egerton University addresses the need to develop individuals with essential knowledge skills, techniques and understanding for managerial careers.
The programme caters for participants who have undergone prior business training as well as those whose professional background and pursuits are in other disciplines. As such, it is designed to meet the educational and technical needs of various professional fields and study, namely: business, health, law, education, engineering etc.
The Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme brings together fresh graduates and those from a variety of professional areas in the private and public sectors. It provides an opportunity for students to extend their academic experience by working with colleagues in related fields of specialisation.
The programme is, therefore, analytically oriented: combining lectures, class discussions, case studies, individual and group assignment and development of research skills. Links with the business community, industry and other business institutions are an important component of the MBA programme.
The major areas of specialisation to be covered in the programme are: Accounting, Entrepreneurship, Finance, Human Resource Management, International Business Management, Management Information Systems, Marketing, Operations Management and Strategic Management.
The programme will have the following objectives:
i). To provide a rigorous and critical grounding in key generic areas of management;
ii). To enhance self-confidence and the ability to evaluate practical business experience from an academic, practical and a critical perspective;
iii). To develop awareness of the changing local and international business environment;
iv). To provide specialised knowledge of the chosen area;
v). To instil a professional and problem-solving attitude in the practice of management;
vi). To provide an opportunity to the student for study in depth and breath the theoretical and practical implications of ordinary and extraordinary management in various environmental settings; and
vii). To develop the essential skills and knowledge to deal with quality, change and employment issues facing contemporary organisations.
Programme Structure and Duration
i). The programme of study for the MBA degree consists of course work, examination and a research project. To be awarded an MBA degree, a candidate must successfully complete fifty-three (53) taught credit factors (CFs) and a research project which will be equivalent to nine (9) CFs. A project once started, must be completed within that semester. The eighteen (18) courses consist of twelve (12) core courses, four (4) specialisation courses which include a seminar and two (2) electives from any area of study.
ii). Each course (except seminar) will comprise 45 contact hours and be examined at the end of the semester by a 3 – hour examination.
iii). Full time candidate shall take seventeen (17) to eighteen (18) credit factors (CFs) per semester
iv). Part time candidate shall be allowed to take a minimum of 6 CFs and a maximum of eighteen (18) CFs per semester. A Part-time candidate will take a maximum of ten semesters (five academic years).
v). Course units can only be taken after the necessary Prerequisites have been successfully completed.
vi). The minimum registration period will be two (2) academic years.
vii). The course code are four capital letters namely, MBAD standing Master of Business Administration, followed by three digits.
1st digit, Indicates year or level the course is offered, i.e. 6 for MBA year one and 7 for MBA year two.
2nd digit, Indicates the nature of sub-discipline of the course within the discipline.
Levels 0 – General MBA courses
1 -Accounting course
2 -Entrepreneurship course
3 -Finance course
4 -Human Resource Management course
5 -International Business Management course
6 -Management Information Systems course
7 -Marketing course
8 -Operations Management course
3rd digit, indicates the sequencing of the course.
All the masters examination of the university shall be conducted as per statute No. XXIX
The grading system will be conducted in accordance with Egerton University statutes XXIX.
To graduate with a Master of Business Administration, a student shall be required to take and pass all scheduled courses within stipulated time.
The Master of Business Administration degree is not classified.
i). The common University rules and regulations for the Masters Degree programme specified in the Egerton University statutes shall be applicable.
ii). In addition to (i) above,
1. A holder of a lower second class honours degree from a recognised university with at least two (2) years relevant work experience or relevant professional qualifications, or
2. A holder of a pass degree from a recognised university with at least two (2) years relevant work experience and relevant professional qualifications, or
3. A holder of a professional qualification with at least two (2) years work experience and have passed university-level qualifying examination(s) in key subject areas approved by the faculty shall be eligible for admission for the Master of Business Administration (MBA) programme:
Required Documents to be attached during Application include:
– Certified copies of your Result Slip, Certificates and Transcripts.
– ORIGINAL RECEIPT (Application Fee): KShs. 2,000 for ALL Degree Programmes and Kshs. 1,000 for all Undergraduate Diploma Programmes: Payable to; Account Name; Egerton University, Kenya Commercial Bank; Account No:1108550703.
– Copy of your National ID Card or Birth Certificate.
Online application procedure
– Simply complete the Egerton University Online Application form and upload all the necessary documents, so that it can be processed by the administrative department
– The application will be complete once all the necessary fees have been paid.
Offline Application Procedure
– An Application form can be downloaded through the school website: http://www.egerton.ac.ke/index.php/Dean-of-Students/application-forms-and-resgistration-forms.html
– The application form must be fully filled and the relevant academic documents attached. It must be returned to the admissions office of the university according to the deadline set by the admissions office.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Marketing manager
– Medical and health services manager
– Financial manager
– Database administrator
– Business operations manager.
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Kenyan and East African Community Students: $1,090
Tuition Fees for Kenyan Students = Kshs. 120,000
Tuition Fees for International Students = Kshs. 156,000
**EAC (East African Community) Students pay the same amount as Kenyan students. Countries in the East African Community include; Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda.
– Foreign students out of the East African Community pay 30% more than the Kenyan students.
– The University reviews tuition fees on a regular basis.