By submitting this form, you give us consent to send your details to the school of your interest. This will allow the school to contact you and provide you with further information.
AfriUni.com will never sell or disclose your personal information to a third party without your consent. We will only provide your information to schools which you have requested information from via our site.
By disclosing your personal information by using this website, AfriUni.com will also send you an informative monthly email newsletter and may send other information regarding schools and courses we think will be of interest to you. You may opt out of receiving these emails at any time.
|Tuition Fees:||$505 /year|
|Applications Begin:||May 2021|
|Final Award:||Bachelor of Science Biochemistry|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||Faculty of Biomedical Science|
|Application Deadline:||September 2021|
Biochemistry refers to the study the chemistry of living organisms, at cellular and subcellular levels. It is a rapidly growing field, in both knowledge and techniques, exemplified by the elucidation of whole genomes of multiple organisms.
This has opened avenues for better understanding of the molecular aspects of life and has resulted in the development of novel therapies, customized medicine, revolutionary industrial products and new developments in agriculture.
Biochemical techniques are widely applied to research and applied in other fields of biological sciences and medicine.
Core subjects include cell biology, genetics, molecular biology, biotechnology, metabolism and protein science, with an emphasis on understanding normal cellular processes and how derangements in these processes bring about disease states.
Studying the structures and functions of biomolecules- the energetics, interactions, regulation and downstream signalling of biochemical pathways – and comparing pathways from different species and organisms, provides an understanding and appreciation of how living systems operate, survive and die.
The course is offered as a full-time programme
To provide an in-depth scientific background for the training of biochemistry scientist who will be capable of working internationally and in East Africa environmental and health-care sector.
Mission and Vision
– To bridge the gap between research base knowledge and general practice by designing and delivering a well-guided educational principles and values of respect for the society.
– To become a Department of knowledge sufficiency and research reliance that equips graduates for innovation and compliance with the professional ethics in biochemistry practices.
Philosophy of the Programme
To become a Department of knowledge sufficiency and research reliance that equips graduates for innovation and compliance with the professional ethics in biochemistry practices.
Four (3) entry points are available for persons wishing to enter the Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry programme:
Holders of the Advanced (A) Level Certificate
In order to be eligible for direct entry into the programme, a candidate must have:
– Sat and passed the Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) examination or its equivalent and obtained a certificate in it with passes in at least five subjects taken at the same sitting.
– Sat and passed the Uganda Advanced Level School Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent with at least two (2) principal passes in Biology and Chemistry, and at least one (1) subsidiary pass in either Physics or Mathematics.
Other High School Certificates
Holders of Kenya School Certificate of Education
In order to be eligible for direct entry into the Biochemistry programme, a candidate must:
Holders of School Certificate Graded in Percentages and Average Points: In order to be eligible for direct entry into the programme, a candidate whose final high school marks are graded in percentages and average point systems such as in Sudan, The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), Rwanda and Burundi must have their grades first equated or standardized by UNEB before seeking KIU admission.
Holders of Diploma in Medical Sciences:
In order to be eligible for admission into the programme, a candidate must:
– Possess a Diploma with a minimum of credit or its equivalent in a health-related field such as Clinical Medicine, Medical Laboratory Technology, Radiography, Public Health, Dental Health, Registered Nursing and Pharmacy Technology.
– The institution from which such a qualification was obtained must be recognized by KIU Senate.
Kampala International University admits 3 times in a year; in December/January, March/April and August/September.
Step 1: Pick-up an application form from the Admissions office at any of our Campuses below:
– Admission office at Main Campus in Kansanga, Kampala.
– Western Campus in Bushenyi
– For international applicants in Kenya and Tanzania, visit our offices in Nairobi and Tanzania.
– For other countries, visit the KIU Liaison Offices.
– Alternatively, download an application form from KIU website: Download It Here which can be filled and sent to email@example.com
NOTE: Click on the link to complete the online application: https://admissions.kiu.ac.ug (a scanned copy of the admission letter will be sent to your email, and once the application has been approved, the original copy will be collected from our Main campus in Kansanga (Admissions Office-Online Desk)
The application fee is 50,000Ug.shs for both Ugandans and International students (non-Ugandans). For online applicants, the application fee is paid to the Finance Office when you report collecting the original admission.
Step 2: Complete the application forms clearly and enclose or attach the following:
– 3 photocopies of each ‘O’ and ‘A’ Level Secondary school result slips or equivalent [Diploma and Bachelor Degree] and three certified copies of transcripts of Bachelor and Master Degrees [postgraduate degrees].
– A photocopy of a receipt for payment for the application form.
– 3 recent passport size photographs.
– Photocopies of Birth Certificate/ National ID/ Passport
Step 3: Submit a fully completed form with the required attachments to the following addresses:
– By physical submission – kindly return form and attachments to the Admission office.
– By email – kindly send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
– By post – kindly send to:
The Director of Admissions, Kampala International University
Tel: +256-041-266813, +256-392001816, +256-041-267634
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Academic researcher
– Analytical chemist
– Biomedical scientist
– Clinical research associate
– Clinical scientist, biochemistry
– Forensic scientist
– Medicinal chemist
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Ugandan Students: $505
Tuition Fees for Ugandan Students = 1,860,000 UGX
Tuition Fees for International Students = 3,706,590 UGX
**The Kampala International University reserves the right to change fees without prior notice. However, fee changes are subject to approval by the Governing Council.