|Tuition Fees:||$7,066 /year|
|Applications Begin:||April 2021|
|Final Award:||Master of Science in Architecture|
|Start Date:||September 2021|
|Academic Unit:||School of Sciences and Engineering|
|Application Deadline:||October 2021|
The Department of Architecture offers a Master of Science in Architecture (M Sc) degree. The program intends to provide opportunities for Egyptian and international students to pursue graduate studies at AUC.
The program focuses on finding and building connections between Architecture and other relevant disciplines at AUC. Exploring these connections is inherent in the essence of architecture as a multidisciplinary domain, always seeking new questions and finding alternate paths by bridging with other domains. The new program also capitalizes on the rich cultural and heritage background in Egypt. These can form strong basis for unique architectural investigations that are rooted in Egypt and the Middle-East, and are of interest to many international scholars.
Graduates of the program will become excellent candidates for the local and international graduate architectural studies and architectural design firms. They will be well equipped to pursue their PhD studies and conduct scientific research upon completion of the MSc. Degree.
The program of study for each student is planned with the faculty advisor and should focus on one (or more) of five areas of study:
1. Urban Regeneration and Heritage (bridge with Human and Social Sciences, Global and Public Policy, Egyptology, Islamic art and History)
2. Sustainability in Architecture (bridge with Engineering, GREN and GAPP)
3. Architectural Computing (bridge with Sciences and Engineering)
4. Architectural Studies (bridge with Human and Social Sciences, Business, Special Needs, and the Arts)
5. Real Estate Development (bridge with Business, Economics, and Entrepreneurship)
The objectives of the Master of Science in Architecture are to:
1. Enable students to learn how to bridge between architecture and other disciplines in order to develop a responsive built environment.
2. Enable students to explore the nature and substance of other field(s) to identify overlaps and value to address architectural issues.
3. Develop an understanding of the interplay of economic, social, psychological and tectonic aspects in shaping the built environment.
4. Develop an understanding of the past, present and future paradigms of Architecture.
5. Reflect on “What’s Next”, pose relevant questions, explore different directions, paths, or modes of thinking and frames of mind derived from a clear contextual understanding.
6. Develop competence in the formulation of, conduct and pursue of comprehensive research questions integrating other related disciplines.
Learning Outcomes of the Master of Science in Architecture:
Graduates of the Master of Science in Architecture will be able to:
1. Demonstrate sufficient academic and applied skills in architecture for employment within the architectural international and local firms and/or pursue a PhD degree in Architecture.
2. Demonstrate critical thinking towards architectural current paradigms towards making an impact in the future of the architectural domain.
3. Demonstrate awareness of the issues inherent in the multidisciplinary nature of the built environment and address them in a comprehensive and inclusive way.
4. Demonstrate awareness of the issues inherent in the rich culture and heritage of Egypt and the Middle East with a critical eye to relevant contexts
5. Work individually or within multidisciplinary teams and provide leadership to integrate different specialized groups.
A candidate for the Masters of Science program in Architecture must have a B.Sc. degree in Architecture or allied disciplines. Admission is also subject to the general university requirements for the graduate program including English language proficiency. A research proposal assessed by the graduate faculty committee is required for admission to ensure a acceptable level of research capabilities. Students who have some deficiency in their undergraduate training but are well-qualified in other aspects may be admitted provisionally. The Department of Architecture may prescribe a program of noncredit work to make up for the deficiency.
HOW TO APPLY
1- Submit the online application form. (Application is available online only). The application can be renewed from the fall to the spring semester of the same academic year only. A new application should be submitted for a new academic year.
2- Fulfill the requirements of your secondary school certificate. The most common secondary school certificates accepted by AUC are listed below. The minimum cut-off scores for each certificate may change from one semester to another according to University requirements. Having the minimum academic requirements does not grant you an offer of a place but rather ensures entry to the selection process.
– Thanawiya Amma
– German Abitur
– IGCSE/GCSE/GCE British Certificate
– International Baccalaureate
– French Baccalaureate
– American High School Diploma
– Canadian Certificates
– Other Certificates
1. Late submission of admission credentials decreases your chances of declaring science and engineering majors because places in these programs are limited.
2. Check that you have fulfilled all the University’s language requirements, as demonstrated by your TOEFL/IELTS scores.
– Results of the TOEFL/IELTS exams may be sent directly to the admissions office. AUC’s code number is 0903
– Both tests should be completed no more than two years prior to the first day of the term for which you are applying for admission
– English placement depends on your TOEFL/IELTS test scores
– Students who believe their placement in the ELI is not appropriate for their level of English proficiency are encouraged to re-take the TOEFL or IELTS. AUC does not offer “exemption” exams of any kind
– The deadline to submit improved English placement test scores is the last working day before the first day of classes each semester
3. Check that you have submitted all required documents by the set deadlines. Your application and a final admission decision will be pending the submission of all these documents. Applications submitted after the set deadlines will be considered according to space availability.
4. Provisional Admission: AUC considers the most academically qualified applicants for provisional admission if they earned excellent grades or submitted the necessary documents prior to the set deadlines.
5. Final acceptance will be given after submitting your final transcript and proof of graduation by or before the assigned deadlines.
About the Application Deadlines:
**Spring Semester (American system) which begins in January and ends in early May, has as Undergraduate Application Deadline October 1, 2020.
**Fall Semester (American system) which starts in late August and ends in late December, has as Undergraduate Application Deadline March 1, 2021.
Career opportunities for this programme include:
– Architectural technologist
– Building control surveyor
– CAD technician
– Fire risk assessor
– Interior and spatial designer
– Town planner
– Urban designer
Array ( [ID] => 1631 [key] => field_5a5d9edc676a4 [label] => Tuition Fees Duration [name] => tuition_fees_duration [prefix] => acf [type] => select [value] => /year [menu_order] => 49 [instructions] => [required] => 0 [id] => [class] => [conditional_logic] => 0 [parent] => 169 [wrapper] => Array ( [width] => 50 [class] => [id] => ) [choices] => Array ( [/year] => /year [/month] => /month [/trimester] => /trimester [/semester] => /semester [for the full programme] => for the full programme ) [default_value] => Array ( ) [allow_null] => 0 [multiple] => 0 [ui] => 0 [ajax] => 0 [return_format] => value [placeholder] => [_name] => tuition_fees_duration [_valid] => 1 )Tuition Fees for Egyptian Students: $7,066
**Tuition Fee per year for Egyptian Students: 112,311 EGP ($6,948)
**Tuition Fee per year for International Students: 142,591 EGP ($8,820)
– The tuition rate is based on a flat rate of $579 for Egyptian students per credit hour and $735 for international students per credit hour.
– Tuition fees for Egyptian students may be paid in Egyptian pounds according to CIB (Commercial International Bank) exchange rate on the day of payment. Tuition fees for international students must be paid in US dollars.
– Tuition fees are collected each semester. No student with an outstanding bill (including charges for breakage or library fines) will be admitted to any examination, given any certificate or report of academic standing, or be permitted to register for a subsequent semester.